Whistledown

Default Best small sb

Bingo. The Cosair 24 is a handy boat that I've seen hauling ass.
Accomadations are plenty fine for a weekend out.

Larry

"Whistledown" wrote in
oups.com:

I haven't sailed a Mac 26 but I can tell you that no boat comes under
greater derision. Many sailors have an almost pathological dislike for
the boat. Again, I haven't sailed one so I don't know how justified
the mockery is-- just givng you the scoop.

I find the less wood they have on them, making them a pain in the ass to
sand and paint...continuously it seems...the more derision they get. Wood
trimmed boats are pretty....unless you work all week and want to go SAILING
on weekends, not working your ass off in the "dockside wood shop" all
weekend.

Maybe the woodie boys make these derisive remarks out of jealously as the
boys with the cheap boats are always casting off lines and going
SAILING....when they are buzzing up and down those beautiful wood parts
with their little sanders all covered in last month's varnish powder...(c;

--
Larry

Tell your buddy to buy a simple sailboat with AS LITTLE WOODEN PARTS AS
POSSIBLE!!

God I hate sanding......almost as much as LAWN MOWING!
Gordon

I've seen a couple of those at the marina. Have to try to hitch a ride one
of these days.
First one I saw threw me as I didn't know it folded up and I didn't
understand how he got in and out of his particular slip without everyone
else leaving first.

Gordon

"Whistledown" wrote in message
oups.com...
Bingo. The Cosair 24 is a handy boat that I've seen hauling ass.
Accomadations are plenty fine for a weekend out.

Whistledown

I think you're right. I saw a Mac 26 with a H U G E outboard. I
mean H U G E. The engine part had to be 5 feet tall. They were
making about 25 knots with their sail flapping around doing nothing.
It's sights like these that don't help Mac owners shake any stigma they
have.

But Gordon, have your buddy look into that Cosair 24 trimarine. One of
those is as commodious as a Mac and can sail cirlcles around bigger
boats like a Catalina 30. Also, they don't have much wood.

Denis Marier

One of my favorites is the Bayfield 25 with inboard diesel and full solid
keel. Its a proven cruising boat for the coast and the great lakes. The
bad side is its not good for club racing around the buoys. The long keel
does not turn as fast as a fin keel. However, with 10 gals of fuel and the
1 cylinder yanmar you have about 40 hours of running time. It trailers well
on long distances. It takes about one to two hours to set the mast up with
lots of drill and skills. It is not the type of boat good for a weekend at
the lake. People I know tow this type of boat on long distance like
Montreal to the Bras d'ors lakes, the coast of Maine and Nova Scotia.

"Whistledown" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think you're right. I saw a Mac 26 with a H U G E outboard. I
mean H U G E. The engine part had to be 5 feet tall. They were
making about 25 knots with their sail flapping around doing nothing.
It's sights like these that don't help Mac owners shake any stigma they
have.

But Gordon, have your buddy look into that Cosair 24 trimarine. One of
those is as commodious as a Mac and can sail cirlcles around bigger
boats like a Catalina 30. Also, they don't have much wood.

Small Boat Building Yahoo Group Leo Cruising 0 July 21st 04 03:48 PM
Small Boat Building Yahoo Group Leo Touring 0 July 21st 04 03:44 PM
OT Bush hatred basskisser General 210 February 16th 04 02:46 PM
Best Small boat/dingy for would be sailor jl General 5 August 21st 03 04:07 PM
New Book for Small Boaters Longyard William H. Touring 0 July 8th 03 07:11 PM