Gordon

Default Best small sb

Got a friend looking for a good small trailer sailboat. What's best in the
21 to 23 range? For instance, Catalina has made a gazillion C22's. Must say
something for them, altho some say they're not the best sailers.
So what is this groups opinion as the best?
Gordon

--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee, and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

"Gordon" wrote:
What's best in the 21 to 23 range?

Depends on your definition of "best". You want fast? Pointing
ability? Easy maintenance? Shallow draft? Lots of cabin space? Lots of
cockpit space? Status? Low cost? Bullet proof hull?
Everybody has different priorities and definitions of "best".

Catalina has made a gazillion C22's. Must say
something for them, altho some say they're not the best sailers.

Depends on your definition of "best".
C22s are fun little boats and they sail "nicely" for all but a few
serious racers and some armchair sailors/critics. I owned one and have
regretted selling it many times. They're inexpensive, low maintenance,
and have a good owner's network. Racing as a class, everybody's in the
same boat (pun intended) as far as pointing ability and speed.

Anyhow, I could say the same for quite a few other boats as well. Just
depends.

Rick
Coz

It's a silly question.

Thats really helpful - what exactly would compel you to waste your time
posting that ?

Gordon:

In my opinion (which is what you asked for) ALL Catalinas (up until the
past few years which I cant comment on because I have not sailed them) , are
mediocre sailers at best. They are not the worst (Buccaneer, Reinell), and
they are not the best. They are however generally well built and seem to
last a long time.

Cal 20's were probably one of the most popular boats EVER in that size
range in my neck of the woods - personally, i dont like them, they are very
small inside, but they do sail reasonably well (slightly better i would say
than the catalina).

If u want new - hunter makes some trailerables , in paricular a 25 that is
quite a nice boat. Again, hunter not known for tremendous sailing
characteristics, but they perform probably better than the older cals and
catalinas. Catalina also makes some 22-25's 'new' as well, that probably
are about the same as the hunter for performance. The fact is the newer
boats, even the ones that arent as 'racy' designs, are still better sailers
than the older ones, just due to the technology advances.

In our area, the MacGregor is amazingly popular trailerable boat - I had a
friend who owned one and despite the fact that I wanted to hate it - it was
actually not so bad... Not the best sailor in the world, but certainly
wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. Its 26 feet though and pretty
big when towing - but it is quite light.

DSK

Gordon wrote:
Got a friend looking for a good small trailer sailboat. What's best in the
21 to 23 range? For instance, Catalina has made a gazillion C22's. Must say
something for them, altho some say they're not the best sailers.
So what is this groups opinion as the best?

Best in what respect?

The Catalina 22 is the most numerous, so buying one of those validates
your choice as a consumer.

Another popular choice is a West Wight Potter 19, smaller than what you
state but as roomy as most 22 footers and easier to trailer. Very stable
too, which is a good quality in a small boat.

The U.S. 21 (later sold as a Pearson Triton 21) is a mini sled, lift
keel speedster, not many around though. Another similar is the Holder
20. If you want a boat that's easier to find and don't mind a higher
price tag, the Ultimate 20 is more modern and probably faster yet.

If you like tradition, you might like a Cornish Crabber flush-deck gaff
cutter; or a Bay Hen gaff sharpie. Both are fun boats with a lot of appeal.

The best starting point is probably to check the trailering weight
capacity of your tow vehicle.

Below is a partial list of possibilities. There have probably been over
a thousand types of 20 to 22 foot trailerable sailboats produced & marketed.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Seaward Fox
Farr 6000
Mirage 5.5
Etap 20 (6.05)
Ensenada 20
Kent Ranger
Sovereign 20
Balboa 20
Sun Fast 20
Southwind 21
Skipper 20
Skimmer 20
Chrysler 20
COM-PAC 19XL
Windrose 20
Nimble Vagabond
Holder 20
Harpoon 6.2
Cal 21
San Juan 21
Precision 21
Islander 21
Nimble 20
Buccaneer 210
Clipper Marine 21
Ultimate 20
Bay Hen 21
Venture 21
Victory 21
SR 21
Hunter 212
Aquarius 21
Balboa 21
American 21
Beneteau First 210
AMF 2100
Mistral 21
Halman 21
Sirius 21/22
HOBIE 21
Muskeget 21
US 21
Santana 21
Spirit 21
Spirit 6.5
Sun Way 21
South Coast 21
Noelex 22
Dovekie
Lindenberg 22
Windrose 22
CS 22
Laguna 22
Gloucester 22
Dehler 22
Sea Pearl 21
Freedom 21
Seafarer 22
Beneteau First 235
CHRYSLER 22
O'Day 222
Edel 665
O'DAY 22
D & M 22
Maine Cat 22
Rocket 22
South Coast 22
Lark (Pearson)
Venture 222
Sailors Haven 22
Merit 22
Venture/MacGregor 22
Cal 22
Schock 22
S2 6.7
S2 6.9
CAPRI 22
Buccaneer 220
US 22
Helsen 22
Starwind 22
Rhodes 22
Eagle
Falmouth Cutter 22
Kells 23
Starwind 223
Hunter 22
TANZER 22

Don White

DSK wrote:
snip...
Below is a partial list of possibilities. There have probably been over
a thousand types of 20 to 22 foot trailerable sailboats produced &
marketed.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Seaward Fox
Farr 6000
Mirage 5.5
Etap 20 (6.05)

snip...

And if you're anywhere near the Canadian border, here's a few to ponder..
note: mine is the 'Sandpiper 565'
http://sailquest.com/market/models/index.htm

prodigal1

Gordon wrote:
Got a friend looking for a good small trailer sailboat.

Halman or Nordica look quite nice
Meye5

If you are seriously considering such a teenie vessel may I suggest you
buy a paper bag to place over your heads as you launch and sail said
vessel? Truly you understand you will NOT be accepted by the BIG boat
crowd. Dont expect a warm welcome.

Don White

prodigal1 wrote:
Gordon wrote:

Got a friend looking for a good small trailer sailboat.

Halman or Nordica look quite nice

Those boats are starting to get a little heavy for frequent trailering.
That is...unless the buyer has a big 4 wheel drive.
Even my Sandpiper 565 at 1200 lbs + outboard + trailer is heavy for my
mini-van.
Don White

Meye5 wrote:
If you are seriously considering such a teenie vessel may I suggest you
buy a paper bag to place over your heads as you launch and sail said
vessel? Truly you understand you will NOT be accepted by the BIG boat
crowd. Dont expect a warm welcome.

Bull****! He should be proud that he's a sensible responsible sailor
who owns the best sized boat for his use.
I'd nudge right up in-between them and laugh thinking of their monthly
payments, docking fees, maintenance costs etc.
prodigal1

Don White wrote:
prodigal1 wrote:

Gordon wrote:

Got a friend looking for a good small trailer sailboat.

Halman or Nordica look quite nice

Those boats are starting to get a little heavy for frequent trailering.
That is...unless the buyer has a big 4 wheel drive.
Even my Sandpiper 565 at 1200 lbs + outboard + trailer is heavy for my
mini-van.

yeah, I guess I was focussing too heavily on the "good" part

Small Boat Building Yahoo Group Leo Cruising 0 July 21st 04 03:48 PM
Small Boat Building Yahoo Group Leo Touring 0 July 21st 04 03:44 PM
OT Bush hatred basskisser General 210 February 16th 04 02:46 PM
Best Small boat/dingy for would be sailor jl General 5 August 21st 03 04:07 PM
New Book for Small Boaters Longyard William H. Touring 0 July 8th 03 07:11 PM