Steve

Not argumentative at all..

Different strokes for different cruising styles.

The one time I stopped in Roche Hbr, I went ashore to look around. To my
horror, I looked out into the anchorage to see a big power boat tied up to
my boat. I got in my dingy and found that he had fouled my anchor and was
waiting for me to return so I could pull my anchor up and allow him to
disentangle his. Seems he was just waiting for a slip to open up and this
was his first time to try and anchor his chartered boat.

I much prefer an anchorage to the bright lights and dock parties of a
transit dock.

I try to bring everything I need and avoid the bustle of the cruising ports.

While in the Knight Inlet and surrounding area of BC, I could always tell
where the little marina (transit) facilities were by the 'caravan's of power
boats going from one and to the next. I stopped at Echo Bay for bread and
eggs and was glad to leave before they could charge me for the one hour at
the dock. We went directly to a quiet anchorage an hour away.

Just my thoughts and preferences.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Hum...not to be argumentative but strictly seeking knowledge and
experience, what was wrong with Roche Harbor? We liked it a lot and
stayed there two nights. We did not at any time cross the border.
It was a great place, IMO.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com

Paddy Malone

I also did this trip over the summer. Left Roche Harbor with the form to get
the annual customs decal ($25), filled it in when I returned. Had no I-68 or
CanPass. Checked in at Bedwell by phone at the customs dock. Declared some
wine and beer and no charge was applied (probably would be if you're in a
floating bar).

Checked back in at the dock at Roche Harbor, painless and courteous
experience as it was in Canada (handed over the form and $25 and received
the decal in the mail a week later).

I like Roche Harbor, great place for people and boat watching and has a good
(pricey) restaurant. Bedwell has a better (pricier) restaurant. I like
anchoring out but I also like eating out! You can do both - each to their
own.

Cheers.

Gary G

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:32:29 -0700, "Paddy Malone"
wrote:

I also did this trip over the summer. Left Roche Harbor with the form to get
the annual customs decal ($25), filled it in when I returned. Had no I-68 or
CanPass. Checked in at Bedwell by phone at the customs dock. Declared some
wine and beer and no charge was applied (probably would be if you're in a
floating bar).

Checked back in at the dock at Roche Harbor, painless and courteous
experience as it was in Canada (handed over the form and $25 and received
the decal in the mail a week later).

I like Roche Harbor, great place for people and boat watching and has a good
(pricey) restaurant. Bedwell has a better (pricier) restaurant. I like
anchoring out but I also like eating out! You can do both - each to their
own.

Cheers.

Do they have one or two day guest slips at Bedwell?

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com

K. R. Lauzon

This summer I cruised the 1000 islands and crossed back and forth from
Canada to US and had no problems. I did purchase an I-68 card weeks before
starting by going to the US Customs office at the boarder and it was one of
the best things I could have done. As I approached a US town, coming from
Canada, I would use my cell phone and call the 1-800 number and they would
ask a few questions and issue a landing number. I found them very courteous,
easy to talk to and a great way to enter the US.

Just a note, if you do not have the I-68 card you have to find a video phone
or check-in office and they are not easy to find. In Clayton NY, I was
curious to see one and went looking, just to see one, and never found it. I
did find one in Alexandria Bay . they are small, not all that well marked,
not easy to find.

I did not purchase a Can-Pass (the Canadian equivalent to the I-68) as I
knew where to check in on the Canadian side. Again, I found it very easy to
call the 1-800 number and check-in.

"Gary G" see.signature@bottom wrote in message
It appears that the total picture for going from US to
Canada and back is pretty aweful. I have no experience
in this venue. Can someone tell me what is involved in
this in reality? I have read the official Web links about going
and coming. It just seems like it is a real hassle and
not worth the time to go from WA to Canada.

The Canada guys measure booze coming in and and the US
guys measure booze coming in. What is the big deal?
I have no problem with the passports requirement. What
else are they going to hassle us about? Are either of
the customs entities going to titrate our booze to see
what proof it is to base it on the allowed volume? They
don't seem to make a distinction about this other than beer
and wine and wine coolers.

What about coming from Canada to Roche Harbor or Friday Harbor?
This sounds like a horrific experience. However, I heard on
VHF that each boat took about 15-20 minutes to clear customs
before getting a slip. Does this event complete customs and
immigration? If not, what is involved in doing so?

Sigh.... Yes, we are newbies between WA and Canada.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com

Ryk

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 22:22:54 -0400, "K. R. Lauzon"
wrote:

Just a note, if you do not have the I-68 card you have to find a video phone
or check-in office and they are not easy to find. In Clayton NY, I was
curious to see one and went looking, just to see one, and never found it. I
did find one in Alexandria Bay . they are small, not all that well marked,
not easy to find.

Last time I was there, the Clayton videophone was at the small
municipal dock that faces directly on the river, downtown, more or
less opposite the Thousand Islands Inn.

More recently I have taken the approach of checking in live at Cape
Vincent where there's a customs station at the ferry dock.

Ryk
Pace

Default Details on US - Canada crossing

I have a couple of friends that have had bad experiences clearing Customs at
Roche harbor. the general consensus is to clear at Friday harbor instead.

[...]

Gary

Pace wrote:
[...]

I recently cleared into the US at Friday Harbor and back into Canada in
Victoria. It was absolutely trouble free. At Friday Harbor I called on
the customs phone on the dock and 5 minutes later I was in. At Victoria
same thing. Never saw a customs guy or had any problem. This was in
July. Of course I had all the required documentation, no meat of fruit
onboard and passports. They didn't even ask about booze.

Gary
Gary G

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 07:41:46 GMT, "Pace" wrote:

I have a couple of friends that have had bad experiences clearing Customs at
Roche harbor. the general consensus is to clear at Friday harbor instead.

"Gary G" see.signature@bottom wrote in message
.. .
It appears that the total picture for going from US to
Canada and back is pretty aweful. I have no experience
in this venue. Can someone tell me what is involved in
this in reality? I have read the official Web links about going
and coming. It just seems like it is a real hassle and
not worth the time to go from WA to Canada.

[snip]

What are the details of their experience, please? I "thought" that
Roche was OK. I did hear VHF chatter when at Friday Harbor about
customs but I did not know the nuances since we did not need to clear.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com

Canada's health care crisis Scott Weiser General 663 December 31st 10 01:32 PM
HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 September 29th 04 05:19 AM
Oh Canada! Bob Crantz ASA 0 July 17th 04 03:32 PM