Steve

Not argumentative at all..

Different strokes for different cruising styles.

The one time I stopped in Roche Hbr, I went ashore to look around. To my
horror, I looked out into the anchorage to see a big power boat tied up to
my boat. I got in my dingy and found that he had fouled my anchor and was
waiting for me to return so I could pull my anchor up and allow him to
disentangle his. Seems he was just waiting for a slip to open up and this
was his first time to try and anchor his chartered boat.

I much prefer an anchorage to the bright lights and dock parties of a
transit dock.

I try to bring everything I need and avoid the bustle of the cruising ports.

While in the Knight Inlet and surrounding area of BC, I could always tell
where the little marina (transit) facilities were by the 'caravan's of power
boats going from one and to the next. I stopped at Echo Bay for bread and
eggs and was glad to leave before they could charge me for the one hour at
the dock. We went directly to a quiet anchorage an hour away.

Just my thoughts and preferences.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Hum...not to be argumentative but strictly seeking knowledge and
experience, what was wrong with Roche Harbor? We liked it a lot and
stayed there two nights. We did not at any time cross the border.
It was a great place, IMO.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746