Doug Dotson

Your old regulator was junk. No wonder doing it manually worked better as
long as you pay attention. How long did you charge them manually and how
long
did they last?

"Andy" wrote in message
ups.com...
The Floating Bear wrote:
I found in a wonderful resource I had not seen before,

http://www.practical-sailor.com/news...Questions4.pdf

a reference today to a design in The 12 Volt Doctor's Practical Handbook
for an alternator controller. It's not an easy book to get in the UK and
wonder if anyone who has a copy would be able to tell me more about the
section of the book that deal with this project, or perhaps scan and mail
it if it's not too long.

Regards,
Jerry (Remove the obvious from my address to mail me)

You don't need plans to build a manual alternator controller. Just buy
a rheostat rated for 12 volts and however much current will be going
into the alternator field wire and hook it up between the battery and
the alternator field wire. Thats what I did when my regulator died
when I was cruising, and it worked like a charm; charged the batteries
much quicker than the old regulator. You have to have a good voltage
meter on your battery bank and know at what voltage to start tapering
down the charge so you don't fry your batteries.

Andy

Andy

Doug Dotson wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message

You don't need plans to build a manual alternator controller. Just buy
a rheostat rated for 12 volts and however much current will be going
into the alternator field wire and hook it up between the battery and
the alternator field wire. Thats what I did when my regulator died
when I was cruising, and it worked like a charm; charged the batteries
much quicker than the old regulator. You have to have a good voltage
meter on your battery bank and know at what voltage to start tapering
down the charge so you don't fry your batteries.

Andy

Your old regulator was junk. No wonder doing it manually worked better as
long as you pay attention. How long did you charge them manually and how
long
did they last?

After my regulator died I used combinations of lightbulbs as my
regulator for a couple of months. (See Nigel Calder, Boatowners
Mechanical and Electrical Manual, 2nd ed. page 71) Then I finally found
a rheostat, and used that from Panama to San Diego, another 4 months,
so I used some form of manual control for 6 months cruising full time.
The batteries still seemed just the same when we sold the boat 6 months
after we got back.

Regulators are not magic; all they do is adjust the current flowing
into the alternator field wire to maintain a certain voltage in the
battery bank when charging. Once you do a little reading and learn
what voltage(s) your batteries should be at when charging you can do
just as good a job as any regulator. The only advantage of a regulator
is that it can't get distracted and forget to turn down the current to
the alternator field wire.

Once you have used a manual contoller for a while you get a feel for
when you need to turn down the current in the charging cycle and it
becomes habit.

Andy

Doug Dotson

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Doug Dotson wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message

[...]

But you can never do it as accurately as a good charge controller. I doubt
that manually one can adjust the voltage according to the battery
temperature
when the voltage difference is 0.05 volts per degree C. A couple tenths of a
volt can be the difference between undercharging and boiling off the
electrolyte.
In a pinch doing it manually will get you home. 6 months doesn;t tell the
story.

Andy

Larry

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in
:

Well, AGMs are batteries not chargers. The batteries in the hybrids
are not deep
cycle batteries. They are 6AH at 201+ volts. They are only good for 6
or 7 miles
if used as the sole drive source and will be severely dammaged.

Hmm....Ni-MH batteries may be run completely dead, over and over....unlike
old lead-acids that eat holes in the plates, even if you wrap the plates
around fiberglass gauze. I deep cycle nearly all my Ni-MH batteries all
the time without destroying them. Some of them are 10 years old.

My disdain, on the other hand, is more about the AGM battery HYPE than the
AGM batteries themselves. They are JUST lead-acid batteries, not some
magic wonder the marketing depts try to make them out to be to justify the
awful price. Look closely at them. They are CHEAPER to make than a proper
wetcell. Thin lead so you can wrap them tightly, the only way they'll get
contact with the electrolyte soaked into the gauze....no need for exotic
plate structures to hold the soft lead in place in a liquid medium. No
fancy separators to keep the plates from shorting out in a liquid medium.
Where's the wonder technology? I don't see any Palladium or Platinum
pieces to justify them selling for triple, do you?

No, it's the HYPE that grinds my skin. There's AGM batteries in my
stepvan, 2 of them to get enough current to crank the V-8 diesel. One
failed, already, getting so hot the case melted. The gauze must have had a
hole in it inside somewhere.

AGM "technology" came from the same capacitors (rolled up plates with
insulators instead of soaked gauze between the plates in a round tube)
we've been making since the 19-teens. It's not "new"....

--
Larry

Doug Dotson

"Larry" wrote in message
"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in
:

Well, AGMs are batteries not chargers. The batteries in the hybrids
are not deep
cycle batteries. They are 6AH at 201+ volts. They are only good for 6
or 7 miles
if used as the sole drive source and will be severely dammaged.

Hmm....Ni-MH batteries may be run completely dead, over and over....unlike
old lead-acids that eat holes in the plates, even if you wrap the plates
around fiberglass gauze. I deep cycle nearly all my Ni-MH batteries all
the time without destroying them. Some of them are 10 years old.

AGMs can be run down flat and left that way for long periods
of time with no ill effects.

My disdain, on the other hand, is more about the AGM battery HYPE than the
AGM batteries themselves. They are JUST lead-acid batteries, not some
magic wonder the marketing depts try to make them out to be to justify the
awful price. Look closely at them. They are CHEAPER to make than a
proper
wetcell. Thin lead so you can wrap them tightly, the only way they'll get
contact with the electrolyte soaked into the gauze....no need for exotic
plate structures to hold the soft lead in place in a liquid medium. No
fancy separators to keep the plates from shorting out in a liquid medium.
Where's the wonder technology? I don't see any Palladium or Platinum
pieces to justify them selling for triple, do you?

Beats me. But since they far outlast liquid batteries they end up being
cheaper in
the long run.

No, it's the HYPE that grinds my skin. There's AGM batteries in my
stepvan, 2 of them to get enough current to crank the V-8 diesel. One
failed, already, getting so hot the case melted. The gauze must have had
hole in it inside somewhere.

AGM "technology" came from the same capacitors (rolled up plates with
insulators instead of soaked gauze between the plates in a round tube)
we've been making since the 19-teens. It's not "new"....

No one said they are new. They have been used in military aircraft for at
least 20 years.

--
Larry

Larry

Amazing.....Well, this ****ing contest is over. We'll agree to disagree.

--
Larry
Doug Dotson

"Larry" wrote in message
"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in
:

AGMs can be run down flat and left that way for long periods
of time with no ill effects.

Amazing.....Well, this ****ing contest is over. We'll agree to disagree.

--
Larry

Good idea. You've made a career over the past few years of poo-pooing
AGM batteries even though they have a proven good track record.

If you can hear a rev drop in your engine from the alternator, you are
already charging at close to its maximum output. I think the real issue
is that you are only charging 10 minutes at a time, not nearly enough
to bring the batteries back to full charge or close to it. I'd
recommend getting a solar panel which will keep the batteries topped
off at your mooring.