The Floating Bear

In article ,
(Steve) wrote:

I think complex electronic regulators is a step in the wrong direction.

My problem is that I am forgetful, and I can imagine that I would cook the
battery or alternator too easily if I had to remember to do any switching.
Mind you, I am talking about a 35A alternator on a Yanmar 1GM10
(replacement Japanese unit as the Yanmar one died comprehensively and it
was the Devil's own job getting one that would fit. I think if I were
doing it again, I would do the engineering to take something very standard
like a Lucas or Bosch automotive unit. My batteries are an 80AH unit for
engine starting and a 110AH service battery, so it's all a bit different
from the serious installations that some people are discussing. However,
it's only about 10 mins motoring from my mooring to where I start to sail,
so I'd like to get charge in as quickly as I can. Mind you, when I switch
in the service battery with the 0-1-2-both switch, I get a significant rev
drop on the engine even with my poor little 35A alternator. However, a
controller that let me get more of the 35A out usefully would be very
handy.

The Plath AutoMAC II sounds just the thing - I don't suppose anyone has a
circuit diagram and/or knows if the components would still be available?

Regards,
Jerry