Steve

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
om...

Most modern regulators (more accurately called a Charge Controller) do
this
automatically. One can't manually do as good a job as a good 3 stage
automatic controller. That is, if you want to maximize the lifetime of the
batteries as well as get a good charge in a minimum of time. I seen
several
boats that have trashed batteries trying to manually control charging.
Just
not worth it.

Let me clearify, that the C.Plath AutoMacII is a three stag charge controler
and the only thing that the operator need to manually set is the charge
current (within the rated capacity of the alternator). If you back off to
the minimum setting the alternator takes over.

Now I agree that the MAC that is discribed in the 12volt Doctor's book is
totally manual unless you reduce the setting to minimum, where the
alternator takes over. This system does require operator attention during
the charging process and could damage the batteries if not attended to
properly.

I built a MAC for my last boat, which I lived aboard at anchor. I only had a
pair of Trojan 105s and minimal load requirements. I also had a pair of 56
watt solar panels and actual engine charging only occured once a week or so
when I had been using the TV longer than I should.

--
My experience and opinion, FWIW