DSK

Sorry but according to NAVSEA there are no naval ships in US service
that burn HFO or bunker oil. Haven't been since the early 1980s. "

palmtreedreamer wrote:
sorry indeed. You must know every medical boat there is then and all of
them must be navy.

Sigh. How to begin, when it's clear that you know so very little about
the subject?

Maybe from this angle... how many hospital ships do you suppose the U.S.
has? Sure, we've got a big Navy, but how many? A thousand? A hundred? Ten?

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/.../ship-hos.html

The answer is two. Both are operated under Navy authority by civilian
contractors. So it isn't hard to guess what ship they're talking about
and what kind of propulsion plant it has.

You're trying to tell me that a mothballed ship can go from nothing to
underway in 30 hours? Get real!

Second, there is a big difference between "mothballed" and an active
duty ship that doesn't happen to be underway at the moment. The web site
cited above says that the ships can be "fully activated" in five days
and from my own experience, that seems likely to be a contracted
maximum. In other words, Uncle Sam knows that we might need these ships
on short notice, and so they pay contractors (like me, except that I'm
not in that particular type of engineering any more... too many nights
away from home) to keep the ships maintained, do repairs when needed,
and keep a small crew active.

Third, that's five days from the time orders are cut.

Now, a question of judgement: when is the time to order a hospital ship
to active status & to begin steaming towards a disaster area? When the
disaster is a hurricane which gives perhaps a week's warning, maybe the
time to get these things in motion is *before* it actually hits, hmmm?
Or do you think it's better to wait 4 or 6 days after it hits, just to
be sure?

... I think you are missing something

Think what you like. I've been there, done that, and you obviouosly
don't have a clue.

Bye.

Oh wait, one last bit of advice... better google these things in the
future, it's very easy to get a few basic facts before you plunge off
the deep end.

DSK

Gogarty

In article .com,
says...

NO - The next post will be some links for you to try and learn from:
HEAVY FUEL OIL 101!~
http://www.nrtee-trnee.ca/eng/progra...gy/Case_Studie
s/EFR_Case-Studies-HeavyFuel_2_E.htm
http://www.steamesteem.com/index.html?boilers_fuel_oil
http://www.steamesteem.com/index.html?fuels
http://www.steamesteem.com/index.html?controls

You NO NOTHING about these things and you should learn from those of us
that are educated. You are willfully stupid and that is the worst thing
anyone could be

In theological terms, it's called "Invincible Ignorance." When encountered, one
does not waste time and effort trying to make them see the light. These poor
souls, unenlightened, cannot go to Heaven or even to Purgatory and do not
deserve Hell on this point alone so they are consigned to Limbo for all
eternity. Sad.

Jeff

palmtreedreamer wrote:
I wish you should read what I wrote before you include me with that
idiot.

The reference was to a hospital boat that runs on HFO, had been shut
down as a non-op, and in fact only had portside insurance on it. My
statement was that the media was complaining that it took nearly a week
to get it going. Anyone that knows ships knows that you have to first,
get orders/charters/papers or whatever. Second, you need to get a crew.
Lastly, you have to start it up and run the checklist before you set
sail. A week is very fast to do all that, don't you think?

Please don't say you disagree with that.

You should think twice before saying "read what I wrote," it generally
makes you look like even more of an idiot. You said that the ship was
in Boston, but there are no Navy facilities in Boston, other than the
SS Constitution museum area. It is possible that one of the hospital
ships was in for a visit, but I certainly would have noticed if there
was a navy ship of any type "shut down as a non-op" in Boston.

Perhaps this is the story you're thinking of:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...ck=1&cset=true

Meye5

palm tree you constantly, relentlessly , unwaiveringly prove yourself
THE putz.

Meye5

"Oh wait, one last bit of advice... better google these things in the
future, it's very easy to get a few basic facts before you plunge off
the deep end. " I agree, if your going to argue about
ANYTHING at least get some basic facts right , googling helps Putz,,
especially if your arquing against several people who have actual
expertise. YOu remind me this neighbor kid who is 12 and is an
"expert" on everything. Kid cant even drive a car yet but he is an
expert on them. oh well. You cant arque with a idiot so I let the kid
think he knows more.