Default Beneteau Re-Sale-Ability?

I'm new to the group. I have a 2001 Beneteau 381 that I keep harbored
at Kemah, Texas, on Galveston Bay.

Even though I have it listed for sale with a reputable Yacht Brokerage,
I still enjoy day-cruising and overnights to the Strand on Galveston
Island. However, after almost two years on the market, I've only had
one nibble.

Its reasonably priced. But it just appears that Beneteau sailboats do
not resell.

Am I right? If you buy a Beneteau, do you just need to plan on owning
it for life?

Or, am I wrong? If so, then why is no one interested in my boat?

Pete N.
Kemah, TX

Denis Marier

I am on the market for a new sailboat.
Your comments are interesting.
I have look at the Beneteau and Catalina.
The Hunter with it arch makes me a little apprehensive.
The April 1, 2002 price fob Factory (extracted from Boat Review) are as
follows:
Beneteau: Hull length 31' 3", displacement 7,716 lbs. for $69,600. USD.
Hunter: hull length 30' 10", displacement 8,300 lbs. for $74,800 USD.
Catalina: hull length 31' 0", displacement 10,300 lbs. for $78,829 USD.
There are too many things that cannot be evaluated with exactness to produce
a logical value analysis. The other approach is to find out how much money
will be needed to maintain each individual sailboat is a satisfactory
condition for a period of 20 years. Then bring that amount of money to
today value (present value analyze).
An example of this is a cast iron keel versus a lead one, manufacturer
reaction time and services.
One can only do so much academic gymnastic to find the best buy.
I use to smile when my manager used to ask me how much does it weight then
he would mentally compute the price.
In this case Catalina uses the traditional construction method and appears
to offer a fair value for the buck. Beneteau are controlling their
manufacturing cost by using a compartmented construction method and cast
iron keel. Hunter are not shy to innovate in the construction approach and
to go forward with new design.
I have not yet made my mind on which one I should get?

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 May 2005 15:29:13 -0400, "G&G" said:

In the price range of Beneteau's, most people prefer Catalina's or

Hunter's.
At least where we live and sail, Beneteau's have a poor reputation.

I recommend a course in basic economics to the author.

rhys

On 16 May 2005 10:25:57 -0700, "
wrote:

Am I right? If you buy a Beneteau, do you just need to plan on owning
it for life?

Beneteaus (Beneteaux?) sell differently in different markets, I think.
In the North-east U.S. and here in Lake Ontario, they are very common
as both cruisers and club racers (even).

Or, am I wrong? If so, then why is no one interested in my boat?

I can't address the specifics of your boat, but I would say: shouldn't
your broker be answering this? Maybe you are asking five grand too
much, or maybe your local market is depressed, or perhaps it's a Texan
thing involving a dislike of the French. Beneteaus aren't *bad* boats,
and if I had to have one, I'd keep it coastal, like Catalinas, Hunters
and whatnot, which are all rated "offshore", but oh, please....G

Perhaps you should monitor your listing in YachtWorld...you are there,
right? See if similar Beneteaus are selling in the same price range,
and WHERE they are selling. It might pay to move the boat to a better
marketplace.

R.
David&Joan

If your boat has been on the market that long with no offers, then it is
overpriced- period. And now she is two years older and is worth that much
less.

I assume your boat is Regulus, listed with Sea Lake Yacht Sales. They are
the local Beneteau dealer. They certainly should know the market for
Beneteaus. If they are your current broker, ask to see the Soldboats data
for your boat. This is the actual (well not always- sometimes the reported
numbers are fudged upward somewhat) sales price paid for boats listed on
Yachtworld that sold over the last few years. The average sales price on
Soldboats (adjusted for age, condition and equipment) is the most you can
expect to get for your boat. But the reality can be 10% less.

Since your broker (actually the individual sales agent in the yacht broker
terminology) thinks that your boat is priced ok, then ask the owner/general
manager to make a detailed price analysis of the Soldboats data which
adjusts recent comparable sales for age, condition, location and equipment.
If he/she won't do it, find another broker who will. These adjustments can
easily swing the value by 10-20%. If your boat is Regulus, she seems pretty
well equipped for her type.

Also, take a look at the listing for La Reine on www.yachtworld.com, located
in Louisiana and listed by Flagship Yachts. She is comparably equipped to
Regulus and priced at $10k less. And don't forget that most boats sell for
5-10% less than the listing price.

FWIW, I am a former yacht broker. And BTW, if your boat is the other 2001
38' Beneteau listed by Sea Lake, then find another broker immediately. That
listing is a summary listing only and is not complete enough to attract
anyone's interest. Some brokers think it is cute to provide a summary
listing only as a teaser to make the customer call. But long experience
indicates that boats with complete and detailed listings, sell best. And if
that is your boat, then she is definitely overpriced versus Regulus and La
Reine. Sea Lake should know better, much better.

I am not trying to trash Sea Lake. All things being equal, they will be your
best broker to sell your Beneteau. You may just have a bum broker (agent) so
ask to speak to the owner and get it priced and listed right.

David

Bryan

It took two weeks to sell my father in laws 35 foot boat that was 20 years
old. The boat was very clean and fairly priced but not a Beneteau. That
said, there is nothing wrong with a Beneteau!

We did not use a broker but advertised ourselves on Boats.com. Lot's of
hits (800) and he sold it for $2k less than asking when a problem was found.
Only fair.

Good luck.

oups.com...