Denis Marier

I am on the market for a new sailboat.
Your comments are interesting.
I have look at the Beneteau and Catalina.
The Hunter with it arch makes me a little apprehensive.
The April 1, 2002 price fob Factory (extracted from Boat Review) are as
follows:
Beneteau: Hull length 31' 3", displacement 7,716 lbs. for $69,600. USD.
Hunter: hull length 30' 10", displacement 8,300 lbs. for $74,800 USD.
Catalina: hull length 31' 0", displacement 10,300 lbs. for $78,829 USD.
There are too many things that cannot be evaluated with exactness to produce
a logical value analysis. The other approach is to find out how much money
will be needed to maintain each individual sailboat is a satisfactory
condition for a period of 20 years. Then bring that amount of money to
today value (present value analyze).
An example of this is a cast iron keel versus a lead one, manufacturer
reaction time and services.
One can only do so much academic gymnastic to find the best buy.
I use to smile when my manager used to ask me how much does it weight then
he would mentally compute the price.
In this case Catalina uses the traditional construction method and appears
to offer a fair value for the buck. Beneteau are controlling their
manufacturing cost by using a compartmented construction method and cast
iron keel. Hunter are not shy to innovate in the construction approach and
to go forward with new design.
I have not yet made my mind on which one I should get?

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 May 2005 15:29:13 -0400, "G&G" said:

In the price range of Beneteau's, most people prefer Catalina's or

Hunter's.
At least where we live and sail, Beneteau's have a poor reputation.

I recommend a course in basic economics to the author.