beaufortnc

Default Air purifier - cleaner - 12 volts

I'm just full of questions today,

Can anyone recommend a good air purifier/cleaner/filter that runs on
12v?

Mostly I'm interested in removing the dust from the air. We don't
smoke, so that's not such a big deal, but it would be nice if the
device could kill odors too,

Thanks,

Mike.

Andy Repton

On 2005-04-25, beaufortnc wrote:
I'm just full of questions today,

Can anyone recommend a good air purifier/cleaner/filter that runs on
12v?

Mostly I'm interested in removing the dust from the air. We don't
smoke, so that's not such a big deal, but it would be nice if the
device could kill odors too,

Open the windows?

(sorry, couldn't resist)
--
Andy Repton
Gordon Wedman

Any cleaner that uses a HEPA (high efficiency particulate arresting) filter
will be about as good as you can get when it comes to dust removal. HEPA
filters are 99.97% efficient at removing dust down to the smallest
particles. So after checking for a HEPA filter you want to check out other
features like volume of air moved, cost of filters, noise, construction
quality, etc. A pre-filter ahead of the HEPA filter will make it last
longer.
Some of these units may have charcoal filters to remove odours. These may
work for a while but eventually their capacity will be used up. Some units
have ionizers and I don't know if these help much over and above the HEPA
filter. If dust is your only issue I would suggest getting the largest HEPA
equipped unit that fits your boat. A large unit run at low speed may move
as much air as a small unit running at max and be much quieter. When you
are away you can run it at max speed and really do a cleanup.

"beaufortnc" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm just full of questions today,

Can anyone recommend a good air purifier/cleaner/filter that runs on
12v?

Mostly I'm interested in removing the dust from the air. We don't
smoke, so that's not such a big deal, but it would be nice if the
device could kill odors too,

Thanks,

Mike.

Mark

Panda (?) makes an incredibly overpriced one that I think's 12 volt,
essentially it's an ozone generator, doesn't do much about dust.

Best way to removed dust and stink from a boat is with an electrostatic
precipitator, Trion makes good ones; at least they're good enough for
US nuclear submarines. Pricey, but you never have to buy filters for
them, and there's no backpressure from a filter, so the fan is low
wattage, "pennies a day", they say. Been using one for 8 years now,
stink and mold problems are gone, dust problem is much less now.

MMC

This link is to 3 pages of reports dealing with harmful effects of ionizers
http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=ionizers&c=
If you can't foot the bill for the electrostatic precipitator, keeping your
boat clean, dry , and ventilated will go along way towards being odor free.
"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
Panda (?) makes an incredibly overpriced one that I think's 12 volt,
essentially it's an ozone generator, doesn't do much about dust.

Best way to removed dust and stink from a boat is with an electrostatic
precipitator, Trion makes good ones; at least they're good enough for
US nuclear submarines. Pricey, but you never have to buy filters for
them, and there's no backpressure from a filter, so the fan is low
wattage, "pennies a day", they say. Been using one for 8 years now,
stink and mold problems are gone, dust problem is much less now.

WTB: Marine Inverter Allen McCann Cruising 91 April 10th 05 11:00 PM
Hull and vinyl cleaner [email protected] General 0 March 10th 05 07:02 PM
vinyl and rubber cleaner JJ General 2 October 2nd 03 02:05 AM
Good boat vinyl cleaner Joseph A. Rich General 3 August 7th 03 12:57 AM
Remarkable hand cleaner Gould 0738 General 6 July 21st 03 07:18 PM