Default Can I hoist someone up my backstay?

I have a block for a flag halyard connected to my backstay about 15
feet above my deck. The block has failed, and I'd rather not unstep
that mast to replace the block.

Can I used a bosun's chair and connect the main halyard around the
backstay to lift someone up to the fitting to replace it?

My main concern is placing 180 to 200 pounds of strain on the backstay.
Logic tells me this is okay though, since the forestay carries the
genoa, but before I try, I'd like other opinions.

Thanks!

JG

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a block for a flag halyard connected to my backstay about 15
feet above my deck. The block has failed, and I'd rather not unstep
that mast to replace the block.

Can I used a bosun's chair and connect the main halyard around the
backstay to lift someone up to the fitting to replace it?

My main concern is placing 180 to 200 pounds of strain on the backstay.
Logic tells me this is okay though, since the forestay carries the
genoa, but before I try, I'd like other opinions.

Thanks!

Perhaps you could use a block on the halyard and then attach it to the
backstay as you indicate. I don't think it's a matter of weight as much as
it would be an issue of chewing into the wire.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Falky foo

what you do in the privacy of your own home is nobody business but yours.

Capt. Neal®

"JG" wrote in message ...
wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a block for a flag halyard connected to my backstay about 15
feet above my deck. The block has failed, and I'd rather not unstep
that mast to replace the block.

Can I used a bosun's chair and connect the main halyard around the
backstay to lift someone up to the fitting to replace it?

My main concern is placing 180 to 200 pounds of strain on the backstay.
Logic tells me this is okay though, since the forestay carries the
genoa, but before I try, I'd like other opinions.

Thanks!

Perhaps you could use a block on the halyard and then attach it to the
backstay as you indicate. I don't think it's a matter of weight as much as
it would be an issue of chewing into the wire.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

The netKKKop speaks. You rec.boat.cruising folks better watch out for Ganz
or your group might end up like alt.sailing.asa. NetKKKop Ganz is responsible
for what you see going on over there.

CN
Doug Dotson

No problem. If your backstay can't handle the extra strain then
you will know and should be replaced anyway.

Doug
s/v Callista

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a block for a flag halyard connected to my backstay about 15
feet above my deck. The block has failed, and I'd rather not unstep
that mast to replace the block.

Can I used a bosun's chair and connect the main halyard around the
backstay to lift someone up to the fitting to replace it?

My main concern is placing 180 to 200 pounds of strain on the backstay.
Logic tells me this is okay though, since the forestay carries the
genoa, but before I try, I'd like other opinions.

Thanks!

Len Krauss

No problem, as typical single backstay tension is only 10-15% of breaking
strength (probably 4000 to 8000 lbs), provided the rigging and its
connections haven't been compromised. You might want to inspect first, if
you haven't done so recently. Obviously this is way more important that the
flag halyard block.

A snatch block on the backstay used to hold your chair close, rather than
wrapping the main haylard,.would reduce possible complications.
Len

--
Eliminate "ns" for email address.

I have a block for a flag halyard connected to my backstay about 15
feet above my deck. The block has failed, and I'd rather not unstep
that mast to replace the block.

Can I used a bosun's chair and connect the main halyard around the
backstay to lift someone up to the fitting to replace it?

My main concern is placing 180 to 200 pounds of strain on the backstay.
Logic tells me this is okay though, since the forestay carries the
genoa, but before I try, I'd like other opinions.

Thanks!

David&Joan

Maybe an easier way, would be to disconnect the backstay at the transom,
bring it forward to the base of the mast, and then you probably can reach
the block. If you have a keel stepped mast, nothing special is required. If
you have a deck stepped mast, you probably want to support the mast with the
main halyard brought back to the transom, tied off and tightened up. You
would have to do this anyway to take the tension off of the backstay to
disconnect it.

David
wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a block for a flag halyard connected to my backstay about 15
feet above my deck. The block has failed, and I'd rather not unstep
that mast to replace the block.

Can I used a bosun's chair and connect the main halyard around the
backstay to lift someone up to the fitting to replace it?

My main concern is placing 180 to 200 pounds of strain on the backstay.
Logic tells me this is okay though, since the forestay carries the
genoa, but before I try, I'd like other opinions.

Thanks!

Jonathan Ganz

I think the concern was that with just the main, he wouldn't be
anywhere near the problem on the backstay. Since that's where he needs
to be, something needs to connect him to the backstay.

In article , Just Us wrote:
Why not just use the main halyard to hoist your self with?
Plenty strong.

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com