John Cairns

"JR Gilbreath" wrote in message
. ..
Capt. NealŽ safe under his tinfoil sou'wester, spake thusly:

"JR Gilbreath" wrote in message
t...

Capt. NealŽ safe under his tinfoil sou'wester, spake thusly:

"JR Gilbreath" wrote in message

Capt. NealŽ wrote:

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message

True on a powerboat, not for sail. Proper place to fly the ensign is
off of the luff of the mainsail. Next best place is off the backstay
as
per your original post. Going up the backstay isn't a big deal.

Doug

You are wrong. Where is one to put the flag when at anchor or when
motoring?
And, if the flag is flown off the mainsail it should be two-thirds of
the way
up the leech. Fifteen feet doesn't quite get it.

It is wrong to fly the flag off the backstay because the angle is
incorrect and the
flag does not display properly.

Then there is the problem of courtesy flags which are shown off the
starboard
spreader. They should be above the ensign as a courtesy.
A flagstaff on the stern if the proper way to display the flag on
modern sloops.

CN

Proper is not proper if it is not functional. Besides, what about the
term stern staff don't you understand?

CN

Flagstaff or stern staff? It looks like neallie cannot even agree
with himself.
JR

A flag staff at the stern = a stern staff. Keep grasping at those
straws,
why don't you.

CN

I don't have to grasp at straws to show what an idiot you are. Just
quote you.
JR

But, you should at least endeavor to make a modicum of sense when
doing so.

CN

How can I and still quote you??
JR

Ah, a klassic konundrum. How does one quote nil, and make any sense? Come to
think of it, what is nil trying to say here? That he is, indeed, an idiot?
That quoting him is "senseless"?

John Cairns

JR Gilbreath

Capt. NealŽ wrote:

[...]

It's simple, you only have to quote me in context for anything I say
to make sense. Re-arranging reality reeks of reprobation.

CN

I have not quoted you out of context. Remember you are the master at
quoting out of context also posting with multiple names, forgeries,
bragging about hacking into peoples computers etc. Would you like me to
post your quotes on these?
JR
Capt. NealŽ

Capt. NealŽ wrote:

Capt. NealŽ wrote:

[...]

You are already obfuscation and avoiding the fact that you are grasping at
straws. You might as well toss in everything up to and including the kitchen
sink if you think it will lend credence your impotency.

CN

Doug Dotson

"Capt. NealŽ" wrote in message

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message
True on a powerboat, not for sail. Proper place to fly the ensign is
off of the luff of the mainsail. Next best place is off the backstay as
per your original post. Going up the backstay isn't a big deal.

Doug

You are wrong. Where is one to put the flag when at anchor or when
motoring?
And, if the flag is flown off the mainsail it should be two-thirds of the
way
up the leech. Fifteen feet doesn't quite get it.

It is wrong to fly the flag off the backstay because the angle is
incorrect and the
flag does not display properly.

The angle of the mainsail luff isn't much different than the angle of the
backstay.
I don;t see how if makes much difference. I've been flying my ensign off the
backstay
for years with no problems.

Then there is the problem of courtesy flags which are shown off the
starboard
spreader. They should be above the ensign as a courtesy.
A flagstaff on the stern if the proper way to display the flag on modern
sloops.

CN

Capt. NealŽ

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message news

The angle of the mainsail luff isn't much different than the angle of the
backstay.
I don;t see how if makes much difference. I've been flying my ensign off the
backstay
for years with no problems.

I'm assuming you meant leech and not luff or it doesn't make much sense.
But, please stop and consider that when sailing the leech of the mainsail has
wind blowing over it in such a way as to keep the flag flying.

Now consider an anchored vessel in little or no wind. A flag that hangs off
the backstay will tend to wrap around it and not display properly while
a flag on a stern staff will hand down and partially open even if there
is no wind and it light winds it displays nicely.

You really should stop flying your flag off the backstay and put it on
a stern staff. I also used to fly my flag off the backstay until recently
after doing quite a bit of reading on the subject and I concluded I
was better served with a stern staff. I can even fly my flag at night
because the anchor light is right above it and illuminates the flag as
required for flags flown at night.

CN

JR Gilbreath

Capt. NealŽ wrote:

[...]

No need to neal. It is would be a waste of my time. Most people already
know what a sad pathetic case you are and the rest will figure it out
in short order.
Good luck with that "blue water yacht"
JR
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:40:52 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

True on a powerboat, not for sail. Proper place to fly the ensign is
off of the luff of the mainsail. Next best place is off the backstay as
per your original post. Going up the backstay isn't a big deal.

True for a gaffer. Flying the ensign from the leech (not luff) of a
marconi main would be patently ridiculous, tearing up the sail and the
ensign whenever you tack.

You would get away with it on a boat without a backstay, but it would
still be bad for the sail to attach a block to the cleat. There are
good reasons it is almost never done.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Curse thee, thou quadrant. No longer will I guide my earthly way by thee." Capt. Ahab

Doug Dotson

No room on the stern for a staff. Too much stuff back there. Keeping it on
the backstay keeps it out of the way. When the wind isn;t blowing, it hangs
forward and looks just fine.

"Capt. NealŽ" wrote in message

[...]

Some people just want to complicate life. Just use clothespins to hold
your flag to any desired stay or shroud and ignore authoritarian
nonsense. If they complain, make up something sensible about how the
boomslang inteferes with it being visible. Why would you want to fly
any flag other than the Q or a courtesy flag? Excessive yachtiness is
really annoying.