Steve (another one)

Default wrapping ssb antenna on kevlar backstay

Dear all

May I pick-up on something mentioned in response to my earlier question.

It was suggested that running a wire up a kevlar backstay is a simple
soultion and avoids having to insulate a piece of conventional rigging.
This sounds very sensible to me and plan to try it, it avoids having to
mess with exposed connections to a wire backstay.

However then Bruce in alaska said:
Then just helical wrap the antenna wire
around the Kevlar Backstay and have a really nice "Fully Loaded Antenna
with alot of electrical length......

Could someone (Bruce perhaps?) explain this. Would I gain performance by
simply wrapping the wire ? Is no of turns per length of backstay
critical ? Is 'core' diameter critical ?

Thanks

Steve

Larry W4CSC

"Steve (another one)" wrote in
:

Dear all

May I pick-up on something mentioned in response to my earlier
question.

It was suggested that running a wire up a kevlar backstay is a simple
soultion and avoids having to insulate a piece of conventional
rigging. This sounds very sensible to me and plan to try it, it avoids
having to mess with exposed connections to a wire backstay.

Isn't Kevlar made of CARBON fibers? Carbon, being a conductor and
electrical dummy load, used in resistors for converting electrical energy
(i.e. HF signals) into heat.

Larry.
Larry W4CSC

I looked up the Kevlar website at:
http://www.dupont.com/kevlar/whatiskevlar.html

One interesting thing it says is:

"Low Electrical Conductivity"

What's interesting is what it DOESN'T say...NO electrical conductivity.

Food cooking in my microwave oven has "low electrical conductivity", too,
as it converts microwaves into heat.

Most interesting topic. Dupont doesn't mention anything else as they try
to sell the stuff.

Larry
Glenn Ashmore

Actually, Kevlar and similar arimids have a dielectric constant range of
3.5 to 4.5 compared to plexiglass at 2.6 to 3.5.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Dennis Pogson

Steve (another one) wrote:
Dear all

May I pick-up on something mentioned in response to my earlier
question.

It was suggested that running a wire up a kevlar backstay is a simple
soultion and avoids having to insulate a piece of conventional
rigging. This sounds very sensible to me and plan to try it, it
avoids having to mess with exposed connections to a wire backstay.

However then Bruce in alaska said:
Then just helical wrap the antenna wire
around the Kevlar Backstay and have a really nice "Fully Loaded
Antenna with alot of electrical length......

Could someone (Bruce perhaps?) explain this. Would I gain performance
by simply wrapping the wire ? Is no of turns per length of backstay
critical ? Is 'core' diameter critical ?

Thanks

Steve

Whilst Kevlar rope has high tensile strength and low weight, they fail to
mention that it weakens rapidly under flexion, i.e. it should never be
knotted or doubled back on itself, as when seizing around a snall-diameter
thimble.

I would think that poses several problem when using as a backstay, unless
some kind of patent terminals are available.

Our Kevlar main halyard parted quite suddenly and without warning at the
thimble a few years ago, and I resolved to go back to wire-spliced
pre-stretched polyester in future.

Remove "nospam" from return address.

Max Lynn

I am the one who posted re the kevlar backstay. I implemented it and used
the setup on a recent Mexico trip. I can only tell you that my rig was
probably the best in the fleet of several boats. A lot of racing sailboats
are switching their rod or wire backstays to Aramid at this time. The
weight savings is dramatic, and the cost is roughly half of what a backstay
with insulators would cost. It's interesting that with all the expertise on
antennas in this group none sees fit to answer your original question, but
rather they choose to critique a proven rigging advance.

"Steve (another one)" wrote in message
Dear all

May I pick-up on something mentioned in response to my earlier question.

It was suggested that running a wire up a kevlar backstay is a simple
soultion and avoids having to insulate a piece of conventional rigging.
This sounds very sensible to me and plan to try it, it avoids having to
mess with exposed connections to a wire backstay.

However then Bruce in alaska said:
Then just helical wrap the antenna wire
around the Kevlar Backstay and have a really nice "Fully Loaded

Antenna
with alot of electrical length......

Could someone (Bruce perhaps?) explain this. Would I gain performance by
simply wrapping the wire ? Is no of turns per length of backstay
critical ? Is 'core' diameter critical ?

Thanks

Steve

Gary Schafer

While I don't know much about the properties of kevlar, electrical or
physical, if it has good electrical properties at the RF frequencies
involved then it should work ok.

As far as wrapping the wire around it, I would use a very long wrap.
Not many turns. While more turns will probably make an excellent
antenna for the low frequencies, 2 and 4 mhz, it will hinder the
higher frequencies. The coil will act as a choke at the higher
frequencies and not allow them to pass. It will effectively make a
rather short antenna at the higher frequencies.

When the old 2 mhz marine antennas were made they had a wound coil in
the fiberglass whip. It performed much better on 2 mhz than a straight
whip with no coil. But it was next to useless on frequencies above 4
mhz as the coil effectively disconnected the upper part of the antenna
on the higher frequencies.

With the higher frequencies in common use now you will never see one
of those loaded antennas in service anymore. Unless it is a dedicated
2 mhz antenna and there are other antennas for the other frequencies.
That is the best of both worlds.

Regards
Gary

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 12:05:08 -0700, "Max Lynn"
wrote:

[...]

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Steve (another one)" wrote:

Dear all

May I pick-up on something mentioned in response to my earlier question.

It was suggested that running a wire up a kevlar backstay is a simple
soultion and avoids having to insulate a piece of conventional rigging.
This sounds very sensible to me and plan to try it, it avoids having to
mess with exposed connections to a wire backstay.

However then Bruce in alaska said:
Then just helical wrap the antenna wire
around the Kevlar Backstay and have a really nice "Fully Loaded Antenna
with alot of electrical length......

Could someone (Bruce perhaps?) explain this. Would I gain performance by
simply wrapping the wire ? Is no of turns per length of backstay
critical ? Is 'core' diameter critical ?

Thanks

Steve

Gary has a valid point in that a tightly wound helical wire will tend
to trap out the higher frequencies in the HF range. One thing to
remeber however, is that if the band is open it doesn't take as efficent
of antenna to communicate on these Higher Frequencies, and if the band
is closed, no amount of antenna tuning or fooling around is going to
allow communications. Where as on MF Frequencies, one needs all the
length one can get for an efficent antenna, and the band is what it is,
and really doesn't change much as far as open or closed, except for Day
and Night. Better distances at night than during the day. A good
compromise would seem to be a resonate 1/4 Wave at say 3200 Khz would
allow for far efficency at 2182 Khz, by wrapping the helical windings
tighter at the top of the antenna, give a reasonable length of wire
on the lower part to resonate with the tuner at 12 Mhz, 16 Mhz, and 22
Mhz.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
engsol

Oh boy..here we go...laughing.... see below....

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 01:05:51 GMT, Bruce in Alaska wrote:

In article ,
"Steve (another one)" wrote:

[...]

Bruce has an excellent point re the windings...but I see a problem.
Given a kelvar backstay length, how would one compute the
pitch of the wrap? A turn every 6 inches for the first 2/3rds? Then
every 2-3 inches for the remainder? Ouiji board?

This topic is so interesting to me that short of buying a network analyzer,
(I'll be honest, I can't afford one), I'm determined to figure out what
simple test equipment I can use to evaluate various configurations,
and then test them.
Any ideas?
Norm B

Larry W4CSC

Glenn Ashmore wrote in

Actually, Kevlar and similar arimids have a dielectric constant range
of 3.5 to 4.5 compared to plexiglass at 2.6 to 3.5.

Then wrapping it should work just great.....