Max Lynn

Default wrapping ssb antenna on kevlar backstay

I am the one who posted re the kevlar backstay. I implemented it and used
the setup on a recent Mexico trip. I can only tell you that my rig was
probably the best in the fleet of several boats. A lot of racing sailboats
are switching their rod or wire backstays to Aramid at this time. The
weight savings is dramatic, and the cost is roughly half of what a backstay
with insulators would cost. It's interesting that with all the expertise on
antennas in this group none sees fit to answer your original question, but
rather they choose to critique a proven rigging advance.

"Steve (another one)" wrote in message
Dear all

May I pick-up on something mentioned in response to my earlier question.

It was suggested that running a wire up a kevlar backstay is a simple
soultion and avoids having to insulate a piece of conventional rigging.
This sounds very sensible to me and plan to try it, it avoids having to
mess with exposed connections to a wire backstay.

However then Bruce in alaska said:
Then just helical wrap the antenna wire
around the Kevlar Backstay and have a really nice "Fully Loaded

Antenna
with alot of electrical length......

Could someone (Bruce perhaps?) explain this. Would I gain performance by
simply wrapping the wire ? Is no of turns per length of backstay
critical ? Is 'core' diameter critical ?

Thanks

Steve