Steve (another one)

Default wrapping ssb antenna on kevlar backstay

Dear all

May I pick-up on something mentioned in response to my earlier question.

It was suggested that running a wire up a kevlar backstay is a simple
soultion and avoids having to insulate a piece of conventional rigging.
This sounds very sensible to me and plan to try it, it avoids having to
mess with exposed connections to a wire backstay.

However then Bruce in alaska said:
Then just helical wrap the antenna wire
around the Kevlar Backstay and have a really nice "Fully Loaded Antenna
with alot of electrical length......

Could someone (Bruce perhaps?) explain this. Would I gain performance by
simply wrapping the wire ? Is no of turns per length of backstay
critical ? Is 'core' diameter critical ?

Thanks

Steve