engsol

Default Linear mooring..what is it?

I'm sure this will cause a groan or two.

I've recently seen the term "linear mooring", but I'm not sure
what it is. The only thing that comes to mind is the moorings
at Avalon Harbor, Catalina Island.

Is $12 a day a reasonable charge? Seems pretty high to me.

Norm B

Wayne.B

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 01:43:17 GMT, engsol
wrote:

Is $12 a day a reasonable charge? Seems pretty high to me

Compared to prices in the popular cruising areas of the northeast, it
is very reasonable. Given the convenience of not having to set or
retrieve your anchor, and the probable assurance that neither you, or
those around you will drag anchor, I'm usually quite willing to pay
for a mooring that is a small fraction of dock prices.

Steve

"engsol" wrote in message
Is $12 a day a reasonable charge? Seems pretty high to me.

In WA state, that is just a little more than is charged at the State Marine
Parks for over night mooring (day use is free).

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Armond Perretta

engsol wrote:

I've recently seen the term "linear mooring", but I'm not sure
what it is. The only thing that comes to mind is the moorings
at Avalon Harbor, Catalina Island.

I have never heard this specific term, but it sounds like the setup in
Wickford RI.

On each side of the dredged entrance channel, all the way into the harbor,
the town has set pilings in a row. The boats are moored with a line from
the bow to the forward piling, and a line from the stern to the aft piling.
Sounds a bit awkward, but they have been doing it this way for quite some
time, and it's not as inconvenient as it first appears for visitors.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Jim Donohue

Avalon and the Isthmus have some line moorings. These consist of a long
line perpindicular to the mooring direction to which you tie. Generally
restricted to small boats...less than 24 feet or so. Pack them in.

Jim Donohue

"engsol" wrote in message
I'm sure this will cause a groan or two.

I've recently seen the term "linear mooring", but I'm not sure
what it is. The only thing that comes to mind is the moorings
at Avalon Harbor, Catalina Island.

Is $12 a day a reasonable charge? Seems pretty high to me.

Norm B

engsol

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:41:18 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

"engsol" wrote in message
Is $12 a day a reasonable charge? Seems pretty high to me.

In WA state, that is just a little more than is charged at the State Marine
Parks for over night mooring (day use is free).

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Hi Steve,
I'm in WA also (Bellingham), and the question arose because of
the Port's desire to get rid of boats anchored in Harris Bay,
(Fairhaven area).

Charging $360/month for long term moorings seemed to me to be a
bit high, given that slips are generally about $5/foot/month in
Squalium and Blaine, if you can get one. That would be $150/month
for my Yankee 30, if I ever get her in the water...

But I'm new to the area, so maybe there are forces at work which
I don't understand yet.
Norm B
Steve

Norm, going back to your initial question about "Linear Mooring" and now
knowing you are also in WA, I suspect they might be talking about a mooring
system like they have in Eagle Harbor. This, as I remember, is a long line,
down the center of the anchorage area. It has a heavy anchor on either end,
with intermediate anchors along the line (more like a cable).

The boats are moored along this line with both bow and stern lines secured
to it. They don't swing with the current or wind and there for lie parallel
to the line at all times. This wouldn't work well in an anchorage that has a
strong current flow or winds. Eagle Harbor has very little of either except
when the wind is from the east, off the Sound with a fetch, all the way from
Seattle. In this moorage system the linear line is roughly in a East/West
direction.

I'm not sure what the situation is in your anchorage area but I would think
a moorage rate on a linear mooring should be something line the state parks,
for daily rates and something of a break for long term mooring.. In So.
Calif. (SD) the port operated moorings are some where around a $100/mo. but
the waiting list is in the years and very rarely does one open up.

I suspect that this system much higher rates that you mention for monthly,
is designed to force the boats into a (for profit) marina, rather than free
anchor.

--
My experience and opinion, FWIW

--
Steve
s/v Good Intentions

long term mooring design - an engineering question mitch Cruising 5 July 18th 04 05:05 PM
Rust on a mooring chain J Bard ASA 2 May 21st 04 12:09 AM
Sittin' on my mooring Simple Simon ASA 8 September 10th 03 03:09 AM
Tiller Pilot Linear ram. Stephan Kachholz Electronics 1 July 7th 03 04:24 PM
Tiller Pilot Linear ram. RichH Electronics 0 July 3rd 03 04:13 PM