RichH

Default Tiller Pilot Linear ram.

Many of the older Autohelm Linear actuators for underdeck pilots should
be available now that Raymarine no longer supports AH5000, etc. You
might find an orphaned older type Linear type 1 drive laying around a
dealers shop that might be acquire for a 'song'. The older Linear type
1 drives do consume a lot of amps, but might be just what you are
looking for (if you have a means of controlling one). They are HUGE.
Such drives typically can handle boats up to 24000 lb.

Steve wrote:
I have a AH3000 tiller pilot that is in good working order but the linear
ram/drive is a bit light on power for my Ingrid 38 (13.5 ton). She has a
huge rudder and even if the tiller pilot can steer her, there are the
frequent occasions when the boat rolls and the tiller pushes the ram and I
can hear that little motor and gears scream as they are forced 'against
their will'. I imagine they will fail eventually.

These and other tiller pilot ratings fall far short of the need of a boat of
this displacement.

What I'm looking for is a 12 volt DC linear ram with about a 10-12 travel. I
don't care if it is marinize, I just want to experiment with some
adaptations.

I see a lot of iron gates with big cylinder but I think they are 110 AC and
too long a stroke for my needs.

I don't want to spend a fortune but perhaps a surplus one would work for
some experimentation.

I have checked a couple surplus catalogs but haven't found anything.

Anyone have any ideas on this??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Tiller control Parallax Cruising 12 October 17th 03 07:47 PM
Boat Steering (tiller vs wheel) Lee Maxwell General 10 September 17th 03 03:13 AM
Converting to a tiller Tony Thomas General 1 July 16th 03 01:33 AM
Tiller Pilot Linear ram. Klaus Cruising 4 July 7th 03 04:24 PM
Tiller Pilot Linear ram. Klaus Electronics 1 July 2nd 03 11:37 PM