Steve

Norm, going back to your initial question about "Linear Mooring" and now
knowing you are also in WA, I suspect they might be talking about a mooring
system like they have in Eagle Harbor. This, as I remember, is a long line,
down the center of the anchorage area. It has a heavy anchor on either end,
with intermediate anchors along the line (more like a cable).

The boats are moored along this line with both bow and stern lines secured
to it. They don't swing with the current or wind and there for lie parallel
to the line at all times. This wouldn't work well in an anchorage that has a
strong current flow or winds. Eagle Harbor has very little of either except
when the wind is from the east, off the Sound with a fetch, all the way from
Seattle. In this moorage system the linear line is roughly in a East/West
direction.

I'm not sure what the situation is in your anchorage area but I would think
a moorage rate on a linear mooring should be something line the state parks,
for daily rates and something of a break for long term mooring.. In So.
Calif. (SD) the port operated moorings are some where around a $100/mo. but
the waiting list is in the years and very rarely does one open up.

I suspect that this system much higher rates that you mention for monthly,
is designed to force the boats into a (for profit) marina, rather than free
anchor.

--
My experience and opinion, FWIW

--