Don White

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message
I certainly would not refer to idiots who would run aground like
those jerks did, 'sailors'. Sails were furled said the article.

They were motoring - just another motorboat - take it to
rec.boats please.

CN

Oh boy! this *was* a nice peaceful newsgroup......... a respite from the
rabble at wrecked boats.

Jack Painter

"Lew Hodgett" wrote
Jim wrote:

I can't understand why the anchors are still aboard and the dinghy is in
the davits. First thing I would have done was to run all the anchors I
could find as far out as possible and try to horse the thing head to the
swell and wind.

The seas were such that the dinghy would probably have swamped before
you got 100 ft out.

It is a beautiful boat, but not worth a human life.

Lew

The seas were breaking (in the pictures and video) only a hundred+ yards
from the beach, where the vessel is up against the breakwater, and on the
wrong side of the breakwater/channel entrance. Out where he first ran into
trouble would have been the time to drop anchor! Sails are the worst enemy
of a vessel being blown against a lee shore, and furling them might have
been the only smart thing the Captain did, aside from getting everyone off
safe.

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Jim

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Jim wrote:

I can't understand why the anchors are still aboard and the dinghy is
in the davits. First thing I would have done was to run all the
anchors I could find as far out as possible and try to horse the thing
head to the swell and wind.

The seas were such that the dinghy would probably have swamped before
you got 100 ft out.

It is a beautiful boat, but not worth a human life.

Lew

Lew;
It wasn't that rough that day. The dinghy is a 13 foot Avon rib with a
15/20 horse outboard.

I have the same dinghy, with a 25.

That boat will handle a lot more than anything that they could have
found that day.

Steve

Has anyone heard if the attempt to re-float/tow the "Irving Johnson" have
succeeded??

I haven't seen anything in the last 24 hrs on the national news.

The longer she languishes there, the less hope there is for a successful
attempt.

Thanks.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Joe

Red Cloud=A9 wrote:

For the latest information:
http://www.lamitopsail.org/index.asp
=20
rusty

Thanks Bobspirt!

Joe
MSV RedCloud
The boat to envy

otnmbrd

This mornings attempt, unsuccessful

Bink B

otnmbrd wrote:
This mornings attempt, unsuccessful

They have it turned. Next attempt tonight but the high tide is much lower.

otnmbrd

Bink B wrote:
otnmbrd wrote:

This mornings attempt, unsuccessful

They have it turned. Next attempt tonight but the high tide is much lower.

Towed it off around 2030 tonight.
Jim

Red Cloud© wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:24:03 GMT, Red Cloud© wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 06:58:08 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

Has anyone heard if the attempt to re-float/tow the "Irving Johnson" have
succeeded??

I haven't seen anything in the last 24 hrs on the national news.

The longer she languishes there, the less hope there is for a successful
attempt.

Thanks.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

For the latest information:
http://www.lamitopsail.org/index.asp

rusty

The Irving Johnson has been successfully towed to deeper water and appears to be
intact.

rusty redcloud

The people who built those little ships really did an amazing job. Took
quite a pounding. Every morning I expected the worst.

And Jim Gladson deserved a lot of credit for his management style, from
what I saw.

I guess we all can learn from this to have a plan for such an emergency.

I still wonder why those anchors were still in their chocks.

Bink B

Jim wrote:

Red Cloud© wrote:

[...]

No question that Jim Gladson and Charles Heil deserve a ton of credit
for designing the salvage operation. Those two have been instrumental in
designing and building these two rock solid ships and now, also, in
saving the Irving Johnson. Hats off to them! The amount of sleep
they've had since Monday could fill a thimble.