Brien Alkire

Does anyone know if it was the north or the south entrance?

My cruising guides and charts indicate that the north entrance is subject to
shoaling and should be avoided. I'm curious which entrance they were making
for.

JG

Absolutely. I've found students, especially those who are near the end of
the class I teach, to be quite eagar to get those sails furled and the
halyards unclipped. Bad move if you need to get a sail up quickly.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Red Cloud©" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:43:43 -0800, "Alan Gomes" wrote:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/032...p_aground.html

Some folks are so "neat and orderly" obsessed that they overlook the fact
that
sails should not be furled until you are well past tricky entrances. You
never
know when you are suddenly going to need them. The story mentions that the
Irving Johnson's sails were furled. Someone in charge apparently was more
concerned with style than safety. Dumb move. Bad result. Some key sails
should
have been kept at the ready.

red

otnmbrd

Brien Alkire wrote:
Does anyone know if it was the north or the south entrance?

My cruising guides and charts indicate that the north entrance is subject to
shoaling and should be avoided. I'm curious which entrance they were making
for.

South or G East entrance, depending on your point of view.
Sad part is, that in watching, their was a point where the bow was close
to being on the breakwater, that the wind, current, whatever, turned the
boat so that it was pointing to sea.
Considering the boats movement, if there had been someone still aboard
and the engine was still operational, they may have been able to power
her off.
Shortly after this point, the boat turned further to port and beached
port side too.
Presently there are divers in attendance, rigging a tow line with the
hopes of pulling her off in the morning.
All day the wind has been SE 20-30k (not good) and it's obvious she is
silting in ..... hope they make it, but I'm not optimistic.

otn
Larry W4CSC

"Alan Gomes" wrote in news:a8adncHccqo9I6LfRVn-
:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/032...p_aground.html

I don't suppose THESE sailors made any comments about shooting at
jetskiiers with guns and missles.....like I've seen in the past on these
newsgroups.....(c;

Hypothermia might have been a problem without those "damned jetskiiers" so
quickly on the scene.....

Capt. Neal®

I certainly would not refer to idiots who would run aground like
those jerks did, 'sailors'. Sails were furled said the article.

They were motoring - just another motorboat - take it to
rec.boats please.

CN

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message ...
"Alan Gomes" wrote in news:a8adncHccqo9I6LfRVn-
:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/032...p_aground.html

I don't suppose THESE sailors made any comments about shooting at
jetskiiers with guns and missles.....like I've seen in the past on these
newsgroups.....(c;

Hypothermia might have been a problem without those "damned jetskiiers" so
quickly on the scene.....

It still is......for now...
I was talking to a guy who spent all last week on the yacht, as the
cook.
He told me that the vessel drew 11' and the keel was 73'.....
That would leave little room for error in what I know to be a heavily
shoaled entrance. I was just there last week delivering a motoryacht.
My guess is that as they approached from the south, they did not stand
off the coast until the last and then run straight in towards the
detached breakwater(and beach), turning sharply to port inside the lee
as they rode or followed a wave in. They probably saved time with a
direct route that kept the seas on the port beam as they aproached and
found themselves with breaking surf on them at the entrance! Maybe not
broaching them, yet certainly carrying them precious valuable and non
affordable feet to leeward, and onto the shoal.

Captain Mack
www.gosailnow.com

Jim

Alan Gomes wrote:
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/032...p_aground.html

Those ships (Irving and Exy) are Crelock designs, absolutely beautiful.
I've sailed on them.

I can't understand why the anchors are still aboard and the dinghy is in
the davits. First thing I would have done was to run all the anchors I
could find as far out as possible and try to horse the thing head to the
swell and wind.

Lew Hodgett

Jim wrote:

I can't understand why the anchors are still aboard and the dinghy is in
the davits. First thing I would have done was to run all the anchors I
could find as far out as possible and try to horse the thing head to the
swell and wind.

The seas were such that the dinghy would probably have swamped before
you got 100 ft out.

It is a beautiful boat, but not worth a human life.

Lew