Jack Painter

"Lew Hodgett" wrote
Jim wrote:

I can't understand why the anchors are still aboard and the dinghy is in
the davits. First thing I would have done was to run all the anchors I
could find as far out as possible and try to horse the thing head to the
swell and wind.

The seas were such that the dinghy would probably have swamped before
you got 100 ft out.

It is a beautiful boat, but not worth a human life.

Lew

The seas were breaking (in the pictures and video) only a hundred+ yards
from the beach, where the vessel is up against the breakwater, and on the
wrong side of the breakwater/channel entrance. Out where he first ran into
trouble would have been the time to drop anchor! Sails are the worst enemy
of a vessel being blown against a lee shore, and furling them might have
been the only smart thing the Captain did, aside from getting everyone off
safe.

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Virginia