cvj

Default To Sand or not To Sand - before applying anti-foul paint?

We are about to take a 4-year old Bavaria 38 Ocean to a boat yard to get a
new application of anti-fouling paint on the bottom.

The boat's previous owner advised us that "the antifouling paint used is
Petit Ultima SR, applied over a blue signal (base) coat.

Apply 3 to 5 coats of red anti-foul paint, depending on the location (5
coats on leading edge of keel, stem, rudder, high wear areas ) and that just
pressure wash until the blue signal coat appears.

No surface prep is required other than the pressure wash - let the water dry
off, and just roll on the new coat(s). Sanding is verboten.The paint is a
soft, copolymer ablative which retains 100% effectiveness all the way
through as it wears away"

The boat yard says that it is nexccessary to sand the bottom lightly before
applying the anti-fouling paint...and that they will not guarantee the work
if the bottom is not sanded.

The previous owner has always been reliable in his advise and I do not feel
comfortable going against his recommendation that NO sanding is permitted.

Comments???

CVJ

Keith Hughes

We've never found sanding to be necessary. Our boats have always been
in San Diego, and we power wash, sand out chips, flakes or cracks, prime
bare spots, and cover with 2 coats of paint to hull, 3 coates at the
waterline and all leading edges. This is good for about 3 years on
average, with monthly cleanings. In warmer water...I can't say.

Keith

cvj wrote:
[...]

cvj

I found this reference on the web today:

-----------------quote---------------------------------------
Petit Ultima SR
Multi-Season ablative, rebunch without recoating formulated to provide the
best antifouling protection, along with ablative technology which allows for
controlled wearing away of paint film. This not only supplies a continuous
source of fresh biocides but will not build up on your boat, allowing for a
smoother slime-free surface with no sanding. Provides multi-season
protection even after winter storage.
-----------------unqt-----------------------------------------

Sounds like sanding is NOT required.

Claus

cvj wrote:
[...]

cvj

Found the manufacturer's website at www.pettitpaint.com and sent them an
email requesting their recommendations.

Will post reply here.

Claus

cvj wrote:
[...]

cvj

According to Pettit Paint, it is up to me whether I want to sand or not...so
I guess I won't..

But now I have a new question.....according to my Volvo engine manual, I am
cautioned against using a bottom paint containing Copper Oxide, as this
might encourage "galvanizing" of the propeller/sail dirve...AND
unfortunately, the Pettit Ultima SR does contain copper oxide...

So now I am back at the starting point.

"just me" wrote in message
It would seem that a call to the manufacturer or their rep would provide
the answer.

--

news We've never found sanding to be necessary. Our boats have always been

cvj wrote:
[...]

Doug Dotson

"Red Cloud©" wrote in message
On 21 Mar 2005 19:52:08 -0600, Dave wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:37:02 GMT, Red Cloud© said:

You don't have to "grind off a layer", but you do need to scour the
surface to get it clean and assure a good job.

Doesn't the power wash take care of that problem generally?

This is the first year I've had an ablative on the bottom, so don't know
about that type paint, but for years I found that not sanding didn't have
much if any effect on adhesion of the non-ablative.

Powerwashing does not do what scouring does, for the same reason that
squirting
your teeth with a waterpic does not do what a toothbrush and floss can do.
It's
really not much work to scour the hull, so why even try to cut that
corner?

red

I agree with this. Powerwashing gets the crud off, but going over the bottom
with a Scotchbrite pad exposes a clean surface of paint that the new paint
can adhere to. I generally go over it lightly with a solvent like Interlux
202
(or is it 216) although I have been told by the boatyard workers that this
is
not necessary. Only takes a few of minutes so what the heck. Have never
had any problems.

Doug
s/v Callista

Doug Dotson

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would think you would treat a Saildrive like an outdrive unit and use
paint designed for aluminum - which will probably be a TBT based paint.
Use the Petit on the hull.

Eric

I thought TBT paint was illegal?