Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
cvj

Default To Sand or not To Sand - before applying anti-foul paint?

We are about to take a 4-year old Bavaria 38 Ocean to a boat yard to get a
new application of anti-fouling paint on the bottom.

The boat's previous owner advised us that "the antifouling paint used is
Petit Ultima SR, applied over a blue signal (base) coat.

Apply 3 to 5 coats of red anti-foul paint, depending on the location (5
coats on leading edge of keel, stem, rudder, high wear areas ) and that just
pressure wash until the blue signal coat appears.

No surface prep is required other than the pressure wash - let the water dry
off, and just roll on the new coat(s). Sanding is verboten.The paint is a
soft, copolymer ablative which retains 100% effectiveness all the way
through as it wears away"

The boat yard says that it is nexccessary to sand the bottom lightly before
applying the anti-fouling paint...and that they will not guarantee the work
if the bottom is not sanded.

The previous owner has always been reliable in his advise and I do not feel
comfortable going against his recommendation that NO sanding is permitted.

Comments???

CVJ