cvj

I found this reference on the web today:

-----------------quote---------------------------------------
Petit Ultima SR
Multi-Season ablative, rebunch without recoating formulated to provide the
best antifouling protection, along with ablative technology which allows for
controlled wearing away of paint film. This not only supplies a continuous
source of fresh biocides but will not build up on your boat, allowing for a
smoother slime-free surface with no sanding. Provides multi-season
protection even after winter storage.
-----------------unqt-----------------------------------------

Sounds like sanding is NOT required.

Claus
"just me" wrote in message
It would seem that a call to the manufacturer or their rep would provide
the answer.

--

"Keith Hughes" wrote in message
news
We've never found sanding to be necessary. Our boats have always been in
San Diego, and we power wash, sand out chips, flakes or cracks, prime
bare spots, and cover with 2 coats of paint to hull, 3 coates at the
waterline and all leading edges. This is good for about 3 years on
average, with monthly cleanings. In warmer water...I can't say.

Keith

cvj wrote:
We are about to take a 4-year old Bavaria 38 Ocean to a boat yard to
get a new application of anti-fouling paint on the bottom.

The boat's previous owner advised us that "the antifouling paint used is
Petit Ultima SR, applied over a blue signal (base) coat.

Apply 3 to 5 coats of red anti-foul paint, depending on the location (5
coats on leading edge of keel, stem, rudder, high wear areas ) and that
just pressure wash until the blue signal coat appears.

No surface prep is required other than the pressure wash - let the water
dry off, and just roll on the new coat(s). Sanding is verboten.The paint
is a soft, copolymer ablative which retains 100% effectiveness all the
way through as it wears away"

The boat yard says that it is nexccessary to sand the bottom lightly
before applying the anti-fouling paint...and that they will not
guarantee the work if the bottom is not sanded.

The previous owner has always been reliable in his advise and I do not
feel comfortable going against his recommendation that NO sanding is
permitted.

Comments???

CVJ