Doug Dotson

"Red Cloudİ" wrote in message
On 21 Mar 2005 19:52:08 -0600, Dave wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:37:02 GMT, Red Cloudİ said:

You don't have to "grind off a layer", but you do need to scour the
surface to get it clean and assure a good job.

Doesn't the power wash take care of that problem generally?

This is the first year I've had an ablative on the bottom, so don't know
about that type paint, but for years I found that not sanding didn't have
much if any effect on adhesion of the non-ablative.

Powerwashing does not do what scouring does, for the same reason that
squirting
your teeth with a waterpic does not do what a toothbrush and floss can do.
It's
really not much work to scour the hull, so why even try to cut that
corner?

red

I agree with this. Powerwashing gets the crud off, but going over the bottom
with a Scotchbrite pad exposes a clean surface of paint that the new paint
can adhere to. I generally go over it lightly with a solvent like Interlux
202
(or is it 216) although I have been told by the boatyard workers that this
is
not necessary. Only takes a few of minutes so what the heck. Have never
had any problems.

Doug
s/v Callista