I would think you would treat a Saildrive like an outdrive unit and use
paint designed for aluminum - which will probably be a TBT based paint.
Use the Petit on the hull.

Eric

cvj wrote:
According to Pettit Paint, it is up to me whether I want to sand or

not...so
I guess I won't..

But now I have a new question.....according to my Volvo engine

manual, I am
cautioned against using a bottom paint containing Copper Oxide, as

this
might encourage "galvanizing" of the propeller/sail dirve...AND
unfortunately, the Pettit Ultima SR does contain copper oxide...

So now I am back at the starting point.

"cvj" wrote in message
Found the manufacturer's website at www.pettitpaint.com and sent

them an
email requesting their recommendations.

Will post reply here.

Claus
"cvj" wrote in message
I found this reference on the web today:

-----------------quote---------------------------------------
Petit Ultima SR
Multi-Season ablative, rebunch without recoating formulated to

provide
the best antifouling protection, along with ablative technology

which
allows for controlled wearing away of paint film. This not only

supplies
a continuous source of fresh biocides but will not build up on

your boat,
allowing for a smoother slime-free surface with no sanding.

Provides
multi-season protection even after winter storage.
-----------------unqt-----------------------------------------

Sounds like sanding is NOT required.

Claus
"just me" wrote in message
It would seem that a call to the manufacturer or their rep would

provide
the answer.

--

"Keith Hughes" wrote in message
news We've never found sanding to be necessary. Our boats have

always been
in San Diego, and we power wash, sand out chips, flakes or

cracks,
prime bare spots, and cover with 2 coats of paint to hull, 3

coates at
the waterline and all leading edges. This is good for about 3

years on
average, with monthly cleanings. In warmer water...I can't say.

Keith

cvj wrote:
We are about to take a 4-year old Bavaria 38 Ocean to a boat

yard to
get a new application of anti-fouling paint on the bottom.

The boat's previous owner advised us that "the antifouling

paint used
is Petit Ultima SR, applied over a blue signal (base) coat.

Apply 3 to 5 coats of red anti-foul paint, depending on the

location
(5 coats on leading edge of keel, stem, rudder, high wear areas

) and
that just pressure wash until the blue signal coat appears.

No surface prep is required other than the pressure wash - let

the
water dry off, and just roll on the new coat(s). Sanding is
verboten.The paint is a soft, copolymer ablative which retains

100%
effectiveness all the way through as it wears away"

The boat yard says that it is nexccessary to sand the bottom

lightly
before applying the anti-fouling paint...and that they will not

guarantee the work if the bottom is not sanded.

The previous owner has always been reliable in his advise and I

do not
feel comfortable going against his recommendation that NO

sanding is
permitted.

Comments???

CVJ