Boris Dobrowolsky

Default painting Yanmar engine block

I have a Yanmar 1GM10. Because of some leaks I have various areas that have
rusted. I would like to repaint them. What do I use and how do I go about
it?
Thanks
Boris

Anchor

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:03:18 -0800, Boris Dobrowolsky wrote:

I have a Yanmar 1GM10. Because of some leaks I have various areas that have
rusted. I would like to repaint them. What do I use and how do I go about
it?
Thanks
Boris

Yanmar sells the proper color paint in aerosol spray cans.

The 1GM10 is a small engine. To do a first class job pull it, sand blast
it on a bench, prime it and paint it 3 or 4 times with the Yanmar spray
paint.

Good luck
Stan

Anchor wrote:
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:03:18 -0800, Boris Dobrowolsky wrote:

I have a Yanmar 1GM10. Because of some leaks I have various areas that have
rusted. I would like to repaint them. What do I use and how do I go about
it?
Thanks
Boris

Yanmar sells the proper color paint in aerosol spray cans.

The 1GM10 is a small engine. To do a first class job pull it, sand blast
it on a bench, prime it and paint it 3 or 4 times with the Yanmar spray
paint.

Good luck

Wow, that is REALLY bad advice. This poster appears to know nothing
about boats.

Removing even a small engine (and the 1GM10 weighs almost 180 lbs dry as
I recall) from a sailboat is a challenge and a half.

Here's a hint. Boats don't have hoods.

In many cases removal requires disassembling cabinetry and even tearing
some out. Engines are frequently installed before the deck is put on the
boat. Sometimes not, often times that is the case.

Furhermore, on reinstall the engine must be painstakingly realigned so
that the prop shaft is in proper alignment. Not doing so leads to a host
of issues, not the least of which is tearing the stuffing box apart and
sinking! Realigning is a pain in the ass. Trial and error ... mostly error.

Boris,

Remove as much rust as practical with a wire brush and sandpaper, paint
it with Yanmar paint and touch it up every few years if it needs it.

Anchor

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:09:00 -0500, Stan wrote:

Anchor wrote:
[...]

YUP, to do a second class job, try and do a proper job with the engine in
place.

Doug Dotson

"Stan" wrote in message
Anchor wrote:
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:03:18 -0800, Boris Dobrowolsky wrote:

I have a Yanmar 1GM10. Because of some leaks I have various areas that
have rusted. I would like to repaint them. What do I use and how do I go
about it?
Thanks
Boris

Yanmar sells the proper color paint in aerosol spray cans.

The 1GM10 is a small engine. To do a first class job pull it, sand blast
it on a bench, prime it and paint it 3 or 4 times with the Yanmar spray
paint.

Good luck

Wow, that is REALLY bad advice. This poster appears to know nothing about
boats.

Removing even a small engine (and the 1GM10 weighs almost 180 lbs dry as I
recall) from a sailboat is a challenge and a half.

Not with the right equipment.

Here's a hint. Boats don't have hoods.

In many cases removal requires disassembling cabinetry and even tearing
some out. Engines are frequently installed before the deck is put on the
boat. Sometimes not, often times that is the case.

True if you own an Island Packet

Furhermore, on reinstall the engine must be painstakingly realigned so
that the prop shaft is in proper alignment.

Realigning a propshaft is not rocket science. If should be done everytime
a boat is hauled for the winter and launched in the spring. Good idea to
do it once a year even if the boat is left in the water.

Not doing so leads to a host of issues, not the least of which is tearing
the stuffing box apart and sinking! Realigning is a pain in the ass. Trial
and error ... mostly error.

Not true. Realigning the propshaft is part of owning a boat with an
inboard engine. One should learn how to do it or find a shop that can.

Boris,

Remove as much rust as practical with a wire brush and sandpaper, paint it
with Yanmar paint and touch it up every few years if it needs it.

David Moore

I have a Yanmar 3QM30-F and have maintained this excellent engine for the
past 13 years.

I have found an excellent product for rust. It is made by Rustolium (
http://www.wellspent.org/Product?p=34423 ) and when used it will convert
rust into a smooth paintable surface. I simply rough up the surface to
remove any loose iron oxide. I then paint on this product. It will turn the
metal black when it dries. A spray coat of the Yanmar gray paint is then
applied.

That's it.

Here is a link to a photo of my engine.
http://www.fantasia35.com/images/hull-78-sound-13.jpg

Good Luck,
David

"Boris Dobrowolsky" wrote in message
.. .
I have a Yanmar 1GM10. Because of some leaks I have various areas that have
rusted. I would like to repaint them. What do I use and how do I go about
it?
Thanks
Boris

painting yanmar engine block Boris Dobrowolsky Boat Building 5 March 23rd 05 09:55 AM
Volvo 4.3 Engine Rebuild Patrick Johnson General 3 April 28th 04 12:50 AM
power vs sail O:P\) Cruising 36 March 18th 04 02:27 AM
Engine News from Genmar Gould 0738 General 8 October 27th 03 04:47 PM