Stan

Anchor wrote:
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:03:18 -0800, Boris Dobrowolsky wrote:

I have a Yanmar 1GM10. Because of some leaks I have various areas that have
rusted. I would like to repaint them. What do I use and how do I go about
it?
Thanks
Boris

Yanmar sells the proper color paint in aerosol spray cans.

The 1GM10 is a small engine. To do a first class job pull it, sand blast
it on a bench, prime it and paint it 3 or 4 times with the Yanmar spray
paint.

Good luck

Wow, that is REALLY bad advice. This poster appears to know nothing
about boats.

Removing even a small engine (and the 1GM10 weighs almost 180 lbs dry as
I recall) from a sailboat is a challenge and a half.

Here's a hint. Boats don't have hoods.

In many cases removal requires disassembling cabinetry and even tearing
some out. Engines are frequently installed before the deck is put on the
boat. Sometimes not, often times that is the case.

Furhermore, on reinstall the engine must be painstakingly realigned so
that the prop shaft is in proper alignment. Not doing so leads to a host
of issues, not the least of which is tearing the stuffing box apart and
sinking! Realigning is a pain in the ass. Trial and error ... mostly error.

Boris,

Remove as much rust as practical with a wire brush and sandpaper, paint
it with Yanmar paint and touch it up every few years if it needs it.