Simon Brooke

in message , New
Conservative ') wrote:

Hi all,

First of all, what's a "survey" - when is it necessary and how much
does it cost?

It's a careful inspection of a boat by a person qualified to know a
great deal about boat construction and maintenance, leading to a report
on the condition of the boat usually with a list of things which should
be fixed. The cost varies from surveyor to surveyor but is usually a
few hundred pounds plus travelling expenses.

Next: How long would it take to sail single-handedly from S/England to
the Windward Islands given average weather conditions at a reasonably
favorable time of year in a Contessa 32 or Nic 32?

A month to six weeks.

Next: If one ends up in some distant safe harbor somewhere abroad;
what right (if any) does one have to simply tie-up at a convenient
mooring and go to sleep for say 24hrs?

None at all. You must first clear customs and make arrangement with the
harbour master.

I'm thinking here about an
analogy with a deckchair dude; do you just 'park-up' and wait for
someone to charge you for your stay? And what prospect of getting a
space in such a harbor?

Finally, what's the difference between a "berth" and a "cabin"?

A berth in a boat is essentially a bed; a cabin is essentially a room.
Note that a berth in a harbour is somewhere you can fit a boat.

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat.
Gavin Collinson

"New Conservative" wrote in message
Hi all,

First of all, what's a "survey" - when is it necessary and how much
does it cost?

Next: How long would it take to sail single-handedly from S/England to
the Windward Islands

Next: If one ends up in some distant safe harbor somewhere abroad;

Finally, what's the difference between a "berth" and a "cabin"?

I realize these are stupid questions, but beg your indulgence.

I fear that you are in great danger of killing yourself and your crew with
your incompetence and stupidity. This range of questions imply that you
really have not a clue. If you take any training, you will realise that the
sea is a very unforgiving environment. I strongly recommend that you start
to learn to sail not on the internet but on a boat. Go out this weekend -
take a course in a boat on the water. You are a very long way from taking a
boat on the sea let alone the ocean.

Gavin

Dan

Gavin Collinson wrote:

"If you take any training, you will realise that the
sea is a very unforgiving environment. "

I think you could argue the exact opposite. It's soft and no dangerous
in itself. You can make all sorts of mistakes in a yacht or powerboat
that would be fatal in a car or motorcycle.

Short of being tucked up in bed I think the sea is about the safest
place you can be!

Gavin Collinson

"Dan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gavin Collinson wrote:

"If you take any training, you will realise that the
sea is a very unforgiving environment. "

I think you could argue the exact opposite. It's soft and no dangerous
in itself. You can make all sorts of mistakes in a yacht or powerboat
that would be fatal in a car or motorcycle.

Short of being tucked up in bed I think the sea is about the safest
place you can be!

I disagree. I am a relatively new qualified coastal skipper and I am
frequently surprised how quickly a sea will change from a benign environment
to one that is dangerous and forbidding. In my short experience, you cannot
take the sea for granted. In a car, you just pull into the next layby.

Gavin

Dan

Gavin Collinson wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message

I disagree. I am a relatively new qualified coastal skipper and I am
frequently surprised how quickly a sea will change from a benign

environment
to one that is dangerous and forbidding.

Yet you have survived! Is it a miracle or was it perhaps very safe?

In a car, you just pull into the next layby.

Well you can equally say in a boat you just pop into shelter. A car you
can die in a flash with no time to correct. In a boat you've always got
time and you have to do a lot of very stupid things to get hurt.

If you're so frightened of sailing, give up! If you've not stop trying
to make your achievments look better by pretending you overcame great
hardship!

JR Gilbreath

Duncan, are you still be ****ed about losing the colonies?
JR

Duncan Heenan wrote:
"New Conservative" wrote in message

Hi all,

First of all, what's a "survey" - when is it necessary and how much
does it cost?

Next: How long would it take to sail single-handedly from S/England to
the Windward Islands given average weather conditions at a reasonably
favorable time of year in a Contessa 32 or Nic 32?

Next: If one ends up in some distant safe harbor somewhere abroad;
what right (if any) does one have to simply tie-up at a convenient
mooring and go to sleep for say 24hrs? I'm thinking here about an

--

"Suffer no one to tell you what to think."
Martin Smith, the New Conservative Party.

http://www.newconservativeparty.org

Take a sailing course and all theses and other matters ( on which your life
may depend ) will come clear. Don't attempt it until you have done a LOT of
sailing.
Do I gather from your spelling of harbour that you are American ? (If so it
explains a lot).

Keelworm

While choking on an orange the asphixiatingly tight latex collar began to
take effect as *Gavin Collinson* gapsed to *uk.rec.sailing* with a dying
breath:

I disagree. I am a relatively new qualified coastal skipper and I am
frequently surprised how quickly a sea will change from a benign
environment to one that is dangerous and forbidding.

That's what drogues and sea anchors are for

In my short experience, you cannot take the sea for granted. In a car,
you just pull into the next layby.

Our 'relative' lack of experience compared with some members of this group
means that conditions we would shy away from and 'wish we weren't there'
are just part and parsel of the sport for the die hards.

When you read about the Vendee competitors having a 'Smooth Day' in the
southern ocean when waves are only just topping 35 feet as opposed to the
60-80 footers they've had throughout the previous week, it puts our channel
squalls into a bit of perspective. Not saying there should be no respect
for the conditions, just an admission of the true scope of each of our
abilities and a realisation of the limits that this sets.

PG

--
Keelworm:
*www.love2sail.co.uk - UK Sailing Forums*
Keelworm

While choking on an orange the asphixiatingly tight latex collar began to
take effect as *Dan* gapsed to *uk.rec.sailing* with a dying breath:

Short of being tucked up in bed I think the sea is about the safest
place you can be!

Definitive proof you have *never* slept with mrs keelworm!

PG
--
Keelworm:
*www.love2sail.co.uk - UK Sailing Forums*
Duncan Heenan

"Dan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gavin Collinson wrote:

"If you take any training, you will realise that the
sea is a very unforgiving environment. "

I think you could argue the exact opposite. It's soft and no dangerous
in itself. You can make all sorts of mistakes in a yacht or powerboat
that would be fatal in a car or motorcycle.

Short of being tucked up in bed I think the sea is about the safest
place you can be!

I think you might find the sea a bit colder than your bed at the moment,
even if softer.
Survival time immersed?

Boater wannabe questions (Pacific Northwest area) Melandre General 8 June 6th 22 04:07 PM
Lots of questions :) GC General 7 September 16th 04 05:45 AM
(OT ) Dumb Dumb Dumb! (maybe he'll shoot himself in the foot) Jim General 19 June 8th 04 05:36 PM
Newbie questions Landlubber UK Power Boats 7 January 15th 04 10:47 PM
You (and Bush) are likely too dumb for this Anonymous ASA 1 November 12th 03 04:03 AM