junktin

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:34:30 GMT, "Harvey"
wrote:

"junktin" wrote in message

Does anyone have practical experience using a consumer grade digital
camera with high zoom and Image Stabilization on a sailboat (taking
shots of distant scenery or other boats)?

The image stabilization is for dampening out vibration due to shaky hands by
using gyroscopic stabilization through the use of acceleration detectors and
linear motors in the lens or camera. In my opinion it will not compensate
at all for the action of a sailboat if you expect it to be used to track a
subject as you pitch and roll. It will compensate for some pounding and
your shaky hands. Of course you are putting an expensive camera in jeopardy
of being damaged by the water.

I agree, but it never occurred to me to mount the camera on the boat.
I always use it hand-held and try to keep the shot framed. Thus the
camera motion is aking to hand shake, not to the larger pitch and roll
movements of the boat.

Yes, I wouldn't be mounting it directly to the boat, or using a tripod
on the rolling boat, so my body's corrections would damp out a lot of
the motion of the boat. However I suspect what remains is still too much
for the I.S. to cope with.

junktin

Thanks Glenn,

The glidecam product is too pricey for my needs and the horizontrue
product seems really only suitable for video cameras (I am considering a
still camera).

Interesting to read about the products out there, but my needs are as a
simple (and poor) amateur.

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
I have a Sony with digital stabalization. Anything over about 5X zoom
really needs a tripod or gimbled/counterbalanced mount. Digital
stabalization is not like the mechanical stabalization in some binocs. It
helps with hand vibration but does little for major movement.

I have a Glidecam 2000 Pro mount (cheap Steadycam) http://www.glidecam.com/
that works well but it takes up a lot of space when working in the cockpit.
For a fixed rail mount http://www.horizontrue.com/ works pretty well for
keeping a reasonable horizon shooting underway but not very good for scenery
shots.

Niether will handle a camera over about 6 pounds so a waterproof case is
out.

junktin

Thanks Peter,

I enjoyed those web sites just for the content alone, without even
thinking about the I. S. issue but it did provide valuable insite to
that issue as well.

Gee, it is hard not to like tugs!

Peter W. Meek wrote:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:24:51 GMT, junktin wrote:

Does anyone have practical experience using a consumer grade digital
camera with high zoom and Image Stabilization on a sailboat (taking
shots of distant scenery or other boats)?

I routinely use a Canon SLR (several film
and digital models) with their IS lenses.
I have used the Canon 100-400 IS as well as
their 300 IS lens with both the 1.4x and 2.0x
extenders. I also have some shorter Canon IS
lenses for these cameras (D30, D60, 10D and 20D).
(Anyone want to buy one of the older ones?)

My experience is on a power boat rather than
a sailboat, but in VERY choppy water. I was
covering a tugboat race in the Detroit River
from a 45' express cruiser. As you can see from
the pictures, there were 6-10' pyramidal waves
generated by the crossing wakes of these
racing tugs (34' to 120' and 155 to 3400 HP).
If the Canon IS lenses can prevent camera
shake under these conditions, they are
likely to help in almost any circumstances.
Nothing can help if you get thrown to the deck,
but if you can keep your target nearly centered
in the frame, you will likely get a decent exposure.

Here are a few of the shots (much reduced in
size for web use):
http://www.msen.com/~pwmeek/boat/tugs98.html
http://www.msen.com/~pwmeek/boat/tugs99.html

As you can see, they are grainy from reduction
for the web page, but not much camera shake
is in evidence.

Ken Tough

junktin wrote:

Does anyone have practical experience using a consumer grade digital
camera with high zoom and Image Stabilization on a sailboat (taking
shots of distant scenery or other boats)?

If anyone has used such a camera on a boat, I would love to hear your
comments.

No experience, so take it with a grain of salt, but the rocking
and rolling of a sail boat is fairly low frequency, compared to
hand-held shaking. The motion from the boat should be catered
for by shutter speed, while the IS will cater for anything that
isn't helped by a (e.g.) 1/125 shutter. I'd say it will help.

--
Ken Tough
junktin

Ken Tough wrote:
junktin wrote:

Does anyone have practical experience using a consumer grade digital
camera with high zoom and Image Stabilization on a sailboat (taking
shots of distant scenery or other boats)?

If anyone has used such a camera on a boat, I would love to hear your
comments.

No experience, so take it with a grain of salt, but the rocking
and rolling of a sail boat is fairly low frequency, compared to
hand-held shaking. The motion from the boat should be catered
for by shutter speed, while the IS will cater for anything that
isn't helped by a (e.g.) 1/125 shutter. I'd say it will help.

Yes, that's a good observation and advice on using a high shutter speed.
Since most of my photography would be in good light, I could certainly
afford to use a higher shutter speed, and even the moderately priced
cameras I am considering will allow me control of that. (instead of
having to accept some arbitrary automatic settings.)

Evan Gatehouse

Peter W. Meek wrote:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:24:51 GMT, junktin wrote:

Does anyone have practical experience using a consumer grade digital
camera with high zoom and Image Stabilization on a sailboat (taking
shots of distant scenery or other boats)?

I routinely use a Canon SLR (several film
and digital models) with their IS lenses.
I have used the Canon 100-400 IS as well as
their 300 IS lens with both the 1.4x and 2.0x
extenders. I also have some shorter Canon IS
lenses for these cameras (D30, D60, 10D and 20D).
(Anyone want to buy one of the older ones?)

I've used a Canon SLR (film) with a 300 F4 IS with 1.4x extender too.
It allowed me to get shots that I couldn't get in rough water with
my 70-200 F4 non stabilized lens.

Sorry I can't add more about the inexpensive IS digitals but I suspect
they will help _some_ with hand motions and small boat motions.

Evan Gatehouse

Roe Thomas

Prter & Capt. John; Glad to see that you two responded, seem to be
the only folks the responded that had used IS as of this time. I've
used and have nothing to add. Roe

"Peter W. Meek" wrote:

[...]

Jere Lull

In article TeASd.24583$NN.20453@edtnps89, junktin
wrote:

Does anyone have practical experience using a consumer grade digital
camera with high zoom and Image Stabilization on a sailboat (taking
shots of distant scenery or other boats)?

In my experience, stabilization is not required. I have the Olympus
C-700, 10x optical, and shoot at full zoom regularly as we sail along.
Shake isn't a problem. More often, my trouble is getting things framed
right as we bounce along.

--
Jere Lull
DSK

Jere Lull wrote:
In my experience, stabilization is not required. I have the Olympus
C-700, 10x optical, and shoot at full zoom regularly as we sail along.
Shake isn't a problem. More often, my trouble is getting things framed
right as we bounce along.

You must be a lot better at it than we are. I find image stabilization
helpful... not miraculous, as some people seem to expect, but it helps.

This pic was taken with a relatively inexpensive ($450 all up) 3.2
megapixel digital camera with 12X zoom and optical image stabilization,
range is a little over 1/4 mile
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...31774987MikhhQ

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

junktin

Interesting to hear that you have had good success in exactly the
conditions I would be shooting in. (I assume your successes are in
bright light to allow fast shutter speeds.) Thanks.