Jere Lull

In article 34qXd.16646$KI2.5830@clgrps12, junktin
wrote:

Interesting to hear that you have had good success in exactly the
conditions I would be shooting in. (I assume your successes are in
bright light to allow fast shutter speeds.) Thanks.

Jere Lull wrote:
In article TeASd.24583$NN.20453@edtnps89, junktin
wrote:

Does anyone have practical experience using a consumer grade digital
camera with high zoom and Image Stabilization on a sailboat (taking
shots of distant scenery or other boats)?

In my experience, stabilization is not required. I have the Olympus
C-700, 10x optical, and shoot at full zoom regularly as we sail along.
Shake isn't a problem. More often, my trouble is getting things framed
right as we bounce along.

Yeah, we're normally shooting in good light, but that's not required. My
last emulsion camera is a Minolta SRT 101, pretty much all manual and
still good enough for professional work. I'm constantly astounded when I
ask the Olympus digital to do something in low light, as the results
always exceed my expectations.

I have a monopod, but rarely use it with the Olympus since it's so good
in "questionable" light. It has to be pretty dark before the Olympus
needs an exposure beyond my hand-held capability. I haven't found a shot
that required the absolute stability of a tripid.

--
Jere Lull