junktin

Default Image Stabilized Digital Camera on a boat

Does anyone have practical experience using a consumer grade digital
camera with high zoom and Image Stabilization on a sailboat (taking
shots of distant scenery or other boats)?

I am considering purchase of a newer camera with 10x or 12x zoom to
replace my 3x capable camera. It occurred to me that Image Stabilization
might be a good thing at these high zooms.

I am considering cameras like the Canon S1 IS, Konica-Minolta Z3/Z5 or
Panasonic Lumix series.

While I read reviews that I.S. really helps remove a bit of "shakey
hand", I am now wondering if the movement on a boat would be way too
much for it and it might over-react giving a worse picture than without
it. (Of course I could turn the I.S. off in this case but if I can't use
it I wouldn't want to pay for it and add that complexity to the
camera, as it is one more point of failure.)

If anyone has used such a camera on a boat, I would love to hear your
comments.

Dave

B. Peg

http://www.ken-lab.com/index.html

B~

Harvey

"junktin" wrote in message
[...]

The image stabilization is for dampening out vibration due to shaky hands by
using gyroscopic stabilization through the use of acceleration detectors and
linear motors in the lens or camera. In my opinion it will not compensate
at all for the action of a sailboat if you expect it to be used to track a
subject as you pitch and roll. It will compensate for some pounding and
your shaky hands. Of course you are putting an expensive camera in jeopardy
of being damaged by the water.

Glenn Ashmore

I have a Sony with digital stabalization. Anything over about 5X zoom
really needs a tripod or gimbled/counterbalanced mount. Digital
stabalization is not like the mechanical stabalization in some binocs. It
helps with hand vibration but does little for major movement.

I have a Glidecam 2000 Pro mount (cheap Steadycam) http://www.glidecam.com/
that works well but it takes up a lot of space when working in the cockpit.
For a fixed rail mount http://www.horizontrue.com/ works pretty well for
keeping a reasonable horizon shooting underway but not very good for scenery
shots.

Niether will handle a camera over about 6 pounds so a waterproof case is
out.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"junktin" wrote in message
[...]

Peter W. Meek

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:24:51 GMT, junktin wrote:

Does anyone have practical experience using a consumer grade digital
camera with high zoom and Image Stabilization on a sailboat (taking
shots of distant scenery or other boats)?

I routinely use a Canon SLR (several film
and digital models) with their IS lenses.
I have used the Canon 100-400 IS as well as
their 300 IS lens with both the 1.4x and 2.0x
extenders. I also have some shorter Canon IS
lenses for these cameras (D30, D60, 10D and 20D).
(Anyone want to buy one of the older ones?)

My experience is on a power boat rather than
a sailboat, but in VERY choppy water. I was
covering a tugboat race in the Detroit River
from a 45' express cruiser. As you can see from
the pictures, there were 6-10' pyramidal waves
generated by the crossing wakes of these
racing tugs (34' to 120' and 155 to 3400 HP).
If the Canon IS lenses can prevent camera
shake under these conditions, they are
likely to help in almost any circumstances.
Nothing can help if you get thrown to the deck,
but if you can keep your target nearly centered
in the frame, you will likely get a decent exposure.

Here are a few of the shots (much reduced in
size for web use):
http://www.msen.com/~pwmeek/boat/tugs98.html
http://www.msen.com/~pwmeek/boat/tugs99.html

As you can see, they are grainy from reduction
for the web page, but not much camera shake
is in evidence.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

[...]

We have used SLR cameras on sailboats for 20 years now. Until a couple
of years ago we limited our focal length to 200 mm and used ISO 400
film (Provia 400F usually).

For the last two seasons we have used a Nikkor 80-400 VR lens. VR is
Nikon's name for image stabilization. It does allow 400 mm on a boat,
and ISO 100 film.

Last year we got a D70 digital SLR and use that along with the F5 film
camera. We have gotten some spectacular bird pix, as well as shots of
a float plane taking off and landing near our stern.

Also, my wife got a Canon IS binocular 8X. It works splendidly on the
boat. Indeed, I am sorely tempted by the 15X model, although retired I
can't afford it.

I haven't tried a P&S camera with built-in stabilization, but the
technology appears to be pretty well established.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Let's Put the XXX back in Xmas
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:34:30 GMT, "Harvey"
wrote:

"junktin" wrote in message
[...]

I agree, but it never occurred to me to mount the camera on the boat.
I always use it hand-held and try to keep the shot framed. Thus the
camera motion is aking to hand shake, not to the larger pitch and roll
movements of the boat.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Let's Put the XXX back in Xmas
Capt John

junktin wrote:
[...]

Dave, I'm a power boater, and I've always enjoyed taking photo's from a
boat, their's just so many opertunities for great shots as you know.
When I was using my old film camera I would get about one or two good
shots out of a whole roll, not good. So I bought a Cannon 5MP camera
about two years ago to replace it. I've found that if I use a high
speed setting I can get consistantly great shots on the boat, and power
boats really shake a lot. And, if the shot doesn't come out the way I
want it to, you can see it on the spot, and shoot it again. You might
want to try a non-stabilized digital camera first, you may be very
satisfied with the results, and save the money you would have spent for
an I.S. model. By the way, a 4 MP camera is just fine, I always use
mine at a lower setting.

Good luck!

John

C J Campbell

"junktin" wrote in message
Does anyone have practical experience using a consumer grade digital
camera with high zoom and Image Stabilization on a sailboat (taking
shots of distant scenery or other boats)?

I am considering purchase of a newer camera with 10x or 12x zoom to
replace my 3x capable camera. It occurred to me that Image Stabilization
might be a good thing at these high zooms.

It is a necessity at those higher zooms anyway. Shooting from both boats and
airplanes, though, I can tell you that IS will dampen vibrations from things
like boat motors, props, and sails, but not from waves.

junktin

Interesting web site and certainly a nice product but even the
smallest/cheapest model is a bit expensive for a camera in the $500 range.

Thanks for your interest, though.

Dave