Stephen Trapani

Default Inside hatch latch?

What are the best ways to lock the cabin hatch from the inside? I've
been considering a slider on each side that slides into drilled out
holes, but those seem kind of micky mouse.

Is there a ready made latch for this or another kind of jury rig setup
that works well? I've got the typical sliding top and three removable
slats type set up.

thanks,

Stephen
Jere Lull

In article ,
Stephen Trapani wrote:

What are the best ways to lock the cabin hatch from the inside? I've
been considering a slider on each side that slides into drilled out
holes, but those seem kind of micky mouse.

Is there a ready made latch for this or another kind of jury rig setup
that works well? I've got the typical sliding top and three removable
slats type set up.

thanks,

Stephen

"Best" of course is subjective. Perhaps a simple stick jammed in place
(like a sliding patio door stop) might be sufficient. Maybe your setup
will allow a simple hole that you can shove a pin into.

--
Jere Lull
RayD

I had this problem a few years ago trying to meet the off-shore racing
requirement for the Annapolis Bermuda race. A salty guy recommended a cord
that is tied off at the base of the companionway hatch, running up along the
outside of the slats, through a hole drilled through the top slate, and tied
off on the closed sliding top hatch. When you want to get out, you untie
the knot on the sliding hatch. When you want to get in, you untie the knot
at the base of the companionway. It met the requirement and cost about a
dollar to fabricate, but I admit that I never actually used it.
"Stephen Trapani" wrote in message
What are the best ways to lock the cabin hatch from the inside? I've
been considering a slider on each side that slides into drilled out
holes, but those seem kind of micky mouse.

Is there a ready made latch for this or another kind of jury rig setup
that works well? I've got the typical sliding top and three removable
slats type set up.

thanks,

Stephen

Doug Dotson

We used a couple of the holders used to install a closet pole. One on the
back of the hatch
face, the other on the front of the forward part of the companionway. A
dowel can then be
layed in to present the hatch from sliding open. Simple. I can take a
digipic of it and
send it to you if you would like. Just drop me a private email I can reply
to.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Stephen Trapani" wrote in message
What are the best ways to lock the cabin hatch from the inside? I've been
considering a slider on each side that slides into drilled out holes, but
those seem kind of micky mouse.

Is there a ready made latch for this or another kind of jury rig setup
that works well? I've got the typical sliding top and three removable
slats type set up.

thanks,

Stephen

Steve

I'm not sure if you are looking for a solution for a sliding hatch or a lift
hatch..

I have a slider and use a system that I discovered several boats-ago. (this
system only works on hatches with doors, not drop boards.)

I use a 1/2 stick/dowel in the middle and hinged at the inside, aft edge,
under the hatch end. It slides in a guide notch in the fwd companionway trim
and when the hatch is fully closed it drops into a notch/pocket just below
the guide notch. This is all automatic and when I want to open the hatch
from outside, I unlock/open the cabin doors, reach inside with a couple
fingers and lift the latch stick and slide the hatch open. When I want to
open from the inside, I come up the companionway ladder far enough for my
head to push up on the latch stick and pull the hatch open with one free
hand while holding on to the grab rail with the other.

A very good single handed system but hard to describe. You have to see it to
fully appreciate its simplicity.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Got the boat inside today Gary General 0 December 7th 04 11:44 PM
hatch umbrella Parallax Cruising 1 October 27th 04 07:32 PM
Hatch repair idea Les Groby General 5 April 28th 04 01:23 PM
The Inside Scoop on the Whitewater Olympic Team Trials David Hearn General 0 March 27th 04 09:20 PM
Gelcoat flaking on inside of hull James W. Sloan Boat Building 1 August 17th 03 07:20 PM