Steve

I'm not sure if you are looking for a solution for a sliding hatch or a lift
hatch..

I have a slider and use a system that I discovered several boats-ago. (this
system only works on hatches with doors, not drop boards.)

I use a 1/2 stick/dowel in the middle and hinged at the inside, aft edge,
under the hatch end. It slides in a guide notch in the fwd companionway trim
and when the hatch is fully closed it drops into a notch/pocket just below
the guide notch. This is all automatic and when I want to open the hatch
from outside, I unlock/open the cabin doors, reach inside with a couple
fingers and lift the latch stick and slide the hatch open. When I want to
open from the inside, I come up the companionway ladder far enough for my
head to push up on the latch stick and pull the hatch open with one free
hand while holding on to the grab rail with the other.

A very good single handed system but hard to describe. You have to see it to
fully appreciate its simplicity.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

"Stephen Trapani" wrote in message
What are the best ways to lock the cabin hatch from the inside? I've been
considering a slider on each side that slides into drilled out holes, but
those seem kind of micky mouse.

Is there a ready made latch for this or another kind of jury rig setup
that works well? I've got the typical sliding top and three removable
slats type set up.

thanks,

Stephen