Martin Woolwich

Default Immigration to Canada

I am hoping to move permanently to Canada in 2007.

I have a 55ft Motor boat which I would like to bring with me. The boat is
approx 32 tons net weight and Part 1 UK Registered

I have RYA dayskipper Theory, Practical and RYA VHF DSC operators licence.

Where do I even begin to find out what I am required to do in order to make
this vessel OK in Canada and me to pilot it?

Forget any issue of transportation and power supplies etc, I have those bits
under control

Also I have identified a newsgroup called can.rec.boating which may be
helpful to me but this is the first time I have ever tried to work with
newsgroups and my news server does not find this. Any ideas (in layman's
terms) how I might be able to connect to this group?

Hope someone can help

prodigal1

Martin Woolwich wrote:
I am hoping to move permanently to Canada in 2007.

I have a 55ft Motor boat which I would like to bring with me. The boat is
approx 32 tons net weight and Part 1 UK Registered

I have RYA dayskipper Theory, Practical and RYA VHF DSC operators licence.

Where do I even begin to find out what I am required to do in order to make
this vessel OK in Canada and me to pilot it?

Forget any issue of transportation and power supplies etc, I have those bits
under control

Also I have identified a newsgroup called can.rec.boating which may be
helpful to me but this is the first time I have ever tried to work with
newsgroups and my news server does not find this. Any ideas (in layman's
terms) how I might be able to connect to this group?

Hope someone can help

for immigration

http://canadainternational.gc.ca/GTC..._Canada-en.htm

for the boat

www.tc.gc.ca

follow the links to "marine"
cheers

Jack Dale

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:57:23 GMT, "Martin Woolwich"
wrote:

I am hoping to move permanently to Canada in 2007.

Where in Canada?

I have a 55ft Motor boat which I would like to bring with me. The boat is
approx 32 tons net weight and Part 1 UK Registered

I have RYA dayskipper Theory, Practical and RYA VHF DSC operators licence.

Where do I even begin to find out what I am required to do in order to make
this vessel OK in Canada and me to pilot it?

Check out http://www.tc.gc.ca/BoatingSafety/menu.htm for most
requirements.

You do not need a license for your boat, but you will need one for the
dinghy if less than 4 meters and powered.

You will probably need to get a Canadian VHF restricted operator's
certificate. Check with the Canadian Power Squadron about locating
the nearest examiner. You might want to get the ship's radio
licensed:

http://boating.ncf.ca/vhf.html#license

The vessel registration process is at

http://www.tc.gc.ca/MarineSafety/Shi...s/registry.htm

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy
Director/ISPA and CYA Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com

Jack Dale

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:21:51 GMT, Jack Dale
wrote:

You do not need a license for your boat, but you will need one for the
dinghy if less than 4 meters and powered.

Minor, but significant correction. Should be "operators license."
Your boat will need a license and the dinghy also if over 9.9
horsepower.

Jack

Evan Gatehouse

Martin Woolwich wrote:
I am hoping to move permanently to Canada in 2007.

I have a 55ft Motor boat which I would like to bring with me. The boat is
approx 32 tons net weight and Part 1 UK Registered

Where do I even begin to find out what I am required to do in order to make
this vessel OK in Canada and me to pilot it?

Vessels of that size are "Registered" in Canada. (Canada offers a
more informal "License" for vessels under 15 Gross Tons.) You
probably will have to get it measured to determine it's Gross Tonnage
when you enter Canada. Then you'll need to de-register it in the UK
and re-register it in Canada. Talk to the UK ship's registry about
de-registration requirements.

You'll probably have to pay duty and GST (7%) on some value of the
boat (no idea how much they will value it if is used and purchase was
a long time ago; you might be able to just declare a value) - however
if you're immigrating you may be able to get it in as "household
goods" or something like that...

As far as safety regulations or standards there won't be anything
significant. You have to carry some basic safety equipment that you'd
probably already carry in the UK. The only big difference would be
Canadian approved PFD's. The VHF might have to be changed to transmit
on "U.S." channels that are in use here.

Eventually all skippers of recreational craft will be required to have
an operator's card. Currently if you have a power vessel under 4m you
need it (so I need a card for my dinghy but not my 40' sailboat). I
think by 2009 you'll need to have it for the big boat too. It's a
very simple multiple choice exam that can be passed with a few hours
study.

Good luck and happy immigrating.

Evan Gatehouse
Gordon Wedman

Other folks have given you good advice.
I'd just like to suggest you immigrate to Vancouver. You will have a
fantastic time with your boat on the West coast. I suppose the East coast
is OK for short trips and perhaps better if you wish to do really long
trips, say to Florida, but the West coast has a lot to offer with just a
short cruise.

"Martin Woolwich" wrote in message
I am hoping to move permanently to Canada in 2007.

I have a 55ft Motor boat which I would like to bring with me. The boat
is approx 32 tons net weight and Part 1 UK Registered

I have RYA dayskipper Theory, Practical and RYA VHF DSC operators licence.

Where do I even begin to find out what I am required to do in order to
make this vessel OK in Canada and me to pilot it?

Forget any issue of transportation and power supplies etc, I have those
bits under control

Also I have identified a newsgroup called can.rec.boating which may be
helpful to me but this is the first time I have ever tried to work with
newsgroups and my news server does not find this. Any ideas (in layman's
terms) how I might be able to connect to this group?

Hope someone can help

Terry Spragg

Martin Woolwich wrote:

I am hoping to move permanently to Canada in 2007.

I have a 55ft Motor boat which I would like to bring with me. The boat is
approx 32 tons net weight and Part 1 UK Registered

I have RYA dayskipper Theory, Practical and RYA VHF DSC operators licence.

Where do I even begin to find out what I am required to do in order to make
this vessel OK in Canada and me to pilot it?

Forget any issue of transportation and power supplies etc, I have those bits
under control

Also I have identified a newsgroup called can.rec.boating which may be
helpful to me but this is the first time I have ever tried to work with
newsgroups and my news server does not find this. Any ideas (in layman's
terms) how I might be able to connect to this group?

Hope someone can help

To find the group, you must connect to a newsgroup server that
subscribes to the group. The server is specified in news server
settings in your email account manager, somewhere. I don't know
where that is in M$ Outlook. Depends on which client software you
use. I use nntp.broadband.rogers.com and allnews.nbnet.nb.ca or,
you may request your ISP to subscribe to the group. Such begging
takes a while sometimes. If you just post to the group, it may go
through and subscribe for your service automatically.

Http newsgroups are a pain, but they are all available to any net
browser if you don't mind the shlawphy response. Use
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/can.rec.boating if you can stand it.

I have a mooring and camp on the St. John river in New Brunswick at
Evandale. I use can.rec.sailing regularly, but it's very quiet right
now, because of the season. If you need anything specific, please

Terry K