Evan Gatehouse

Martin Woolwich wrote:
I am hoping to move permanently to Canada in 2007.

I have a 55ft Motor boat which I would like to bring with me. The boat is
approx 32 tons net weight and Part 1 UK Registered

Where do I even begin to find out what I am required to do in order to make
this vessel OK in Canada and me to pilot it?

Vessels of that size are "Registered" in Canada. (Canada offers a
more informal "License" for vessels under 15 Gross Tons.) You
probably will have to get it measured to determine it's Gross Tonnage
when you enter Canada. Then you'll need to de-register it in the UK
and re-register it in Canada. Talk to the UK ship's registry about
de-registration requirements.

You'll probably have to pay duty and GST (7%) on some value of the
boat (no idea how much they will value it if is used and purchase was
a long time ago; you might be able to just declare a value) - however
if you're immigrating you may be able to get it in as "household
goods" or something like that...

As far as safety regulations or standards there won't be anything
significant. You have to carry some basic safety equipment that you'd
probably already carry in the UK. The only big difference would be
Canadian approved PFD's. The VHF might have to be changed to transmit
on "U.S." channels that are in use here.

Eventually all skippers of recreational craft will be required to have
an operator's card. Currently if you have a power vessel under 4m you
need it (so I need a card for my dinghy but not my 40' sailboat). I
think by 2009 you'll need to have it for the big boat too. It's a
very simple multiple choice exam that can be passed with a few hours
study.

Good luck and happy immigrating.

Evan Gatehouse