beaufortnc

Default A hesitant question about heads

Sorry to even ask this question - hope no one is eating dinner.

My holding tank is plumbed to discharge overboard (3 miles out) with a
whale gusher pump. (This boat is new to me) -

So far, I've been able to avoid putting, eh...., let's just call them,
"chalupas", in the holding tank. But, this will eventually have to
change.

My question is, do I need to install a macerator pump in order to shred
and pump out the "chalupas" - or will I be fine with my current setup.
Will the "chalupas" clog the whale gusher? or what other problems
might occur?

Right now the setup works great, but it has only had to deal with
numero uno so far.

Sorry for the somewhat disgusting post, but sometimes a man has to doo
what a man has to doo.

Thanks,

Mike.

renewontime dot com

I'm sure Peggy Hall (who is one of the top authorities on the matter of
heads and holding tanks) will have a more informative post here for you
shortly, but here's my 2 cents:

"Chalupas" aren't normally a problem. By the time they are flushed from the
head, through the pump and joker valve, through the hose into your holding
tank, they've pretty much been broken up enough and mixed with enough water
so they aren't a problem to pump over the side with a good diaphram pump.
If it doesn't plug up your head, it probably won't be a problem for the rest
of your system.

I'd guess that nearly 80% (or maybe even more) of the problems I've had with
a marine head were because toilet paper (or worse) was flushed into the
system. On charter boats, I didn't have a choice but to allow it to happen.
But on my own boat, we kept a sealed, plastic container (with plastic bag
liner) to deposit used T.P. into. This virtually eliminated any future
problems.

--
Paul

=-----------------------------------=
renewontime dot com
FREE email reminder service for licensed mariners
http://www.renewontime.com
=-----------------------------------=

beaufortnc

Thanks Paul,

We do the same with TP, and your reply makes much sense.

Thanks,

Mike.

Peggie Hall

My question is, do I need to install a macerator pump in order to shred
and pump out the "chalupas" - or will I be fine with my current setup.
Will the "chalupas" clog the whale gusher? or what other problems
might occur?

Paul gave you good information...solid waste is 75% water to begin with,
so it breaks up very easily as it goes through the plumbing to the tank
and dissolves very quickly in the tank. So a manual diaphragm pump is no
more likely to clog than a macerator pump unles something else that
shouldn't have gone down the toilet in the first place manages to make
it into the tank...in which case, the macerator is MORE likely to clog.

Nor, as long as only cheap (except when it's labeled "marine") flimsy
"quick dissolve" TP is used, is there any reason to avoid flushing TP.
To know whether any TP is safe for use in a marine toilet, tear off a
sheet a put it in a glass of water....if in an hour, if it's still an
intact--or mostly intact--sheet, it should not be flushed. But if the
water is milky and all that's left of the TP is a little "snow," there's
no reason not to flush it, 'cuz it'll do the same thing even before it
gets to the tank.

However, an overload of even quick-dissolve TP can cause a clog...but
only a temporary one that's no cause for panic. Wait an hour...it will
dissolve on its own. That is, if that's all it is, and not something
else that should not have been flushed. The ONLY things that should ever
go down ANY marine toilet are waste and quick-dissolve TP...nothing
else, not even a toothpick. "Flushable" or "septic tank safe" in a
household toilet does NOT mean that it can flushed down a marine toilet.

Sorry for the somewhat disgusting post, but sometimes a man has to doo
what a man has to doo.

"Urine" and "solid waste" are such simple non-disgusting terms...I've
wondered for years why so many people feel it necessary to put an
amazing amount of creativity into avoiding using 'em.

--
Peggie
----------

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On 5 Feb 2005 05:40:52 -0800, "beaufortnc"
wrote:

[...]

I have that arrangement. I used the old manual bilge pump from the
cockpit (1981), which I had replaced with a larger one. It still works
fine.

I put Odorloes in the hopper when I flush, and let the poop digest for
a few hours. I have never had a problem with the pump.

Remember, It has already gone through the head pump.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Ask not with whom the buck stops . . .

Paul Schilter

Peggie,
In some novels I've read, the one act was referred to as "passing
water" I thought that was a good description.
Paul

Peggie Hall wrote:

snipped

"Urine" and "solid waste" are such simple non-disgusting terms...I've
wondered for years why so many people feel it necessary to put an
amazing amount of creativity into avoiding using 'em.

Jim,

Yeppers == Paul Whiteman even wrote the Urine song

"Urine old smoothie"

Youre An Old Smoothie
Paul Whiteman

Youre an old smoothie,
Im an old softie,
Im just like putty
In the hands of a girl like you.
Youre an old meanie,
Im a big boobie,
I just go nutty,
In the hands of a girl like you.
Poor me, you played me for a sap;
Poor you, you thought youd laid a trap!
Well dear, I think its time you knew,
Youve done just what I wanted you to.
Silly old smoothie,
Crafty old softie,
Ill stick like putty
To the hand of a girl like you.

Paul Schilter wrote:

Peggie,
In some novels I've read, the one act was referred to as "passing
water" I thought that was a good description.
Paul

snipped

Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM
Volvo Question, putting MDIIB heads on a MD11C? MLapla4120 Cruising 0 April 25th 04 08:18 PM
Lavac heads vs. others [email protected] Cruising 15 October 29th 03 11:44 AM