renewontime dot com

I'm sure Peggy Hall (who is one of the top authorities on the matter of
heads and holding tanks) will have a more informative post here for you
shortly, but here's my 2 cents:

"Chalupas" aren't normally a problem. By the time they are flushed from the
head, through the pump and joker valve, through the hose into your holding
tank, they've pretty much been broken up enough and mixed with enough water
so they aren't a problem to pump over the side with a good diaphram pump.
If it doesn't plug up your head, it probably won't be a problem for the rest
of your system.

I'd guess that nearly 80% (or maybe even more) of the problems I've had with
a marine head were because toilet paper (or worse) was flushed into the
system. On charter boats, I didn't have a choice but to allow it to happen.
But on my own boat, we kept a sealed, plastic container (with plastic bag
liner) to deposit used T.P. into. This virtually eliminated any future
problems.

--
Paul

renewontime dot com
FREE email reminder service for licensed mariners
http://www.renewontime.com