Steve

Default Main Halyard Winch choice (limited)

I'm afraid I seriously limited my winch size option when I installed the
welded winch pad on my mast.

I used the assumption that a #16ST Lewmar would be adequate. What I didn't
realize was this winch wasn't available in 2 spd. The power ratio of this
winch is 15:8.1..

I'm not sure what I really need but I do know that I have trouble sweating
up the last 10 ft of sail with this single speed winch. (not to mention that
it cranks backwards (counter clockwise) in it's single gearing.)

I'm ready to upgrade to a larger winch size so I can have 2 speeds but the
winch pad on the mast will only except something around 3 3/4" to (at most)
4 1/4" base dia.

Welding a new pad on the mast is not practical, at this time, due to
internal wiring and halyards. And I can't locate a bolt on pad that fits my
mast contour.

Any ideas??

Comments and thoughts would be appreciated.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Evan Gatehouse / Diane Selkirk

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

- I've seen winch brackets that are more U-shaped flanged rectangles that
are riveted to the mast. Place over the existing bracket and rivet to mast

- Bolt on a larger pad to your existing pad using the existing Lewmar winch
mounting holes. A larger winch should have a larger bolt circle.

- mount the winch on deck

- remove internal halyards and weld on another pad! Are you that close to a
wiring conduit that you risk burning it?

Evan Gatehouse
ceilydh **at** 3web **dot** net
---- rewrite my signature to send email

engsol

Sorry I missed the original posting and follow-ups...the following
may have already been suggested.

Steve, is there a way of using an "adaptor" plate to mount the larger
winch? I.e., a plate (round?) which would be bolted to your existing
winch pad, and also drilled to accept the new (larger) winch?
Norm B

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Steve

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm considering several of them..

For immediate solution, I now remember that I have one longer winch handle
that I can't use in the cockpit (lifeline stanchion too close) and never
bothered to move it to the mast..

I hesitate to just rely on the existing bolt hole circle for a larger winch
and a plain adaptor plate wouldn't add anything for strength.

I'm now considering making a mounting plate that will fit over and bolt to
the existing plates, have a 90 deg. bend on the fwd and aft edge to come
back down to the mast and then a flange bent flange with bolt holes so I can
drill/tape and bolt into the mast. In addition to adding the additional
strength for than larger winch, it will look much better.

Thanks again..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions