Simple Simon

Default Bobsprit is a good example . . .

Bobsprit is a good example of the old saying about the
bigger the boat the less it sails.

He sailed his Catalina more than he sailed his Pearson.

Now, it's plain he sailed his Pearson more than he sails
or is going to sail his C&C.

He is on the downhill slide because while his boats get
larger his skills remain just as small.

Jeff Morris

Why do you go back to the winch? Is it one of the old ones with a wire drum and clutch?

I have a rope clutch that leads to a jib winch - when its time to drop the main we head up
and pop the clutch. The main drops about 2/3's of the way without help. The main is
full battened, which helps some, and the lazy jacks guide it into an imitation stack pack.
It takes a few good tugs to do a fair job; a more proper flaking takes a few minutes.

I've considered adding "batt-cars" or a Strong track - that would allow the main to fall
completely into the stack pack. But since I don't singlehand much it isn't that big an
issue. Also, the Dutchman System would be nice, but the last time I was in Norwalk I had
the Dutchman look at it, and he said he couldn't keep the stack-pack with his system.

--
-jeff www.sv-loki.com
"The sea was angry that day, my friend. Like an old man trying to send back soup at the

"me" wrote in message
news

I'm running into that problem now, I had a 27' that I always went out alone
in, but the cabin was too small and I needed to bend down a little inside,
that got to be a real pain when I got stuck out in a storm and tried to stay
below (for times other than sleeping)
Now I've moved up to 35' and it's more work, such is life, but flaking the
main is a pain in the #$#@ by my self. I've got lazy jacks but they don't do
all the work, does anyone have any suggestions on a good way to put away the
main with jumping back and forth to the main winch and them in back of the
boom to fold the sail, it seems to be many trips back and forth. (please
don't say get a furling main)
thanks all.

Bobsprit is a good example of the old saying about the
bigger the boat the less it sails.

He sailed his Catalina more than he sailed his Pearson.

Now, it's plain he sailed his Pearson more than he sails
or is going to sail his C&C.

He is on the downhill slide because while his boats get
larger his skills remain just as small.

HarryV

I have the same arrangement (wire halyard, trip the winch to drop the
sail). This year I have new sails with full battens. I noticed that I
have to give them a few tugs to het them down because the battens tend
to tilt down and sometimes jam the slides on the track. It doesn't
help that the sail cloth is still very stiff. I hope it improves over
time. My old sails would drop completely in 3 seconds. No lazy jacks
but this in not too important to me because of the height of the boom
(low) and my flush deck (plenty of room to handle the dropped sail).

The only thing that I don;t like is that as the sail drops it spins
the winch drum and the halyard end up in twisted loops at the end. Any
cure for this?

HV

"me" wrote in message
[...]

katysails

does anyone have any suggestions on a good way to put away the
main with jumping back and forth to the main winch

I just let the main drop in the lazy jacks and then flake on the boom....why make a wrestling match out of it???

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

me

Thanks very much, that looks like exactly what's needed

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
A friend of mine highly recommends the Dutchman system.....

http://squeteaguesailmakers.com/systems.html#dutchman

CM

"me" wrote in message
news |
| I'm running into that problem now, I had a 27' that I always went out
alone
| in, but the cabin was too small and I needed to bend down a little

inside,
| that got to be a real pain when I got stuck out in a storm and tried to
stay
| below (for times other than sleeping)
| Now I've moved up to 35' and it's more work, such is life, but flaking

the
| main is a pain in the #$#@ by my self. I've got lazy jacks but they

don't
do
| all the work, does anyone have any suggestions on a good way to put away
the
| main with jumping back and forth to the main winch and them in back of

the
| boom to fold the sail, it seems to be many trips back and forth. (please
| don't say get a furling main)
| thanks all.
|
| Bobsprit is a good example of the old saying about the
| bigger the boat the less it sails.
|
| He sailed his Catalina more than he sailed his Pearson.
|
| Now, it's plain he sailed his Pearson more than he sails
| or is going to sail his C&C.
|
| He is on the downhill slide because while his boats get
| larger his skills remain just as small.

Marc

Default Hint everybody.

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:35:40 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

Hint everybody! Try lowering your mainsail while your bow is straight
into the wind. You might find you don't need to struggle so much getting
it down. Jeez! and these folks claim to sail . . .

"Marc" wrote in message ...

On my boat, I come into the wind,

So , Simp, just what did you add to this thread?

Simple Simon

I added some insight into why people install junk like lazy jacks,
Dutchman flaking, etc. Hopefully I made some people think that
if you lower the mainsail correctly you don't need the extra added
complication and expense of unnecessary systems that exist only
because people are too stupid to use equipment as designed or
to maintain it so it works as designed. If your mainsail does not
immediately drop down onto the boom when the halyard is
released when the bow is into the wind then you need to
do some maintenance or renewal of your slide, groove, track
etc.

Adding unnecessary systems to correct poor maintenance is
such a lubberly and stupid thing to do. To discuss it as par
for the course is an embarrassment to sailors everywhere.

"Marc" wrote in message ...
So , Simp, just what did you add to this thread?

me

Thanks for the great information, I never would have figured that out.
Maybe I should close hauled in 30kts, this way the wind will help so there
will be no wrinkles in the sail when it's flaked.
Please direct this to Boobs, not the rest of us.
But anyway, maybe it's because I'm used to having the main halyard run back
to the cockpit and now it's on the mast.

Have fun anyway could this be the first good weekend up north without rain,
we're going to shoot for the Thimble Islands. With any luck we'll pass Boobs
while he's motoring along in the sound.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
news
Hint everybody! Try lowering your mainsail while your bow is straight
into the wind. You might find you don't need to struggle so much getting
it down. Jeez! and these folks claim to sail . . .

"Marc" wrote in message

A. Move your lazy jack legs further aft. since the luff is contained
by the sail track, there is no need for support there. Most lazy jack
systems equally divide the boom, omitting support where it is needed,
aft.
B. don't drop your main so fast. If you control the rate of collapse,
it will do a good job of self flaking.

C. tighten the lazy jacks. When you drop the main, first sheet in the
boom to tighten the jacks. Adjust the jacks so they are tight when
the boom is mid shipped and down to the dodger.

The idea of lazy jacks is to contain the main at sea. You can always
straighten up the mess at the dock.

On my boat, I come into the wind, mid ship the boom, wrap the main
halyard around the winch and crack the clutch a hair to relase the
main halyard tension. I can then crank down on the boom and bring it
just to the top of my dodger which tightens the lazyjacks.. I then
ease the main halyard down and allow the main to fall into the
tightened lazyjacks. When the main is down, I ease the main sheet so
the boom rides in its normal position. I crank the traveller over and
tension the boom against a jack line and allow the solid vang to
support the boom and keep it from moving side to side. In heavy seas,
I'll support the boom with the main halyard.

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:38:44 GMT, "me" wrote:

[...]

Marc

Wrong as ususal , Simp. lazy jacks have been around as long as there
have been sails on booms. Sailors have always been the first to adopt
any rig that made their work easier, or safer. If you had a boat
larger than your pre-paid funereal casket, you wouldn't shoot off
your mouth. Lazy jacks, dutchman systems, stack packs, mack packs etc.
are all variations on a theme and are all good.

Your point about improper procedure or maintainence does not negate
the value or need for sail dowsing control systems on larger boats.
Except in your mind and limited experience.