Simple Simon

Default Hint everybody.

If we are talking about large boats with large sails
that need several sailors to hand the sails then there
is STILL no need for lubberly crap like lazy jacks.

If we are talking about a lone-hander sailing a 100-
footer then, perhaps, lazy jacks could be justified.
However, we are talking about small sailing vessels
here. Small sailing vessels DO NOT NEED such
devices. They are more trouble than they are worth
and they are just plain STUPID! Fix the problem -
don't add to it. Keep it simple, stupid!

"Marc" wrote in message ...
Wrong as ususal , Simp. lazy jacks have been around as long as there
have been sails on booms. Sailors have always been the first to adopt
any rig that made their work easier, or safer. If you had a boat
larger than your pre-paid funereal casket, you wouldn't shoot off
your mouth. Lazy jacks, dutchman systems, stack packs, mack packs etc.
are all variations on a theme and are all good.

Your point about improper procedure or maintainence does not negate
the value or need for sail dowsing control systems on larger boats.
Except in your mind and limited experience.

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:56:31 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

I added some insight into why people install junk like lazy jacks,
Dutchman flaking, etc. Hopefully I made some people think that
if you lower the mainsail correctly you don't need the extra added
complication and expense of unnecessary systems that exist only
because people are too stupid to use equipment as designed or
to maintain it so it works as designed. If your mainsail does not
immediately drop down onto the boom when the halyard is
released when the bow is into the wind then you need to
do some maintenance or renewal of your slide, groove, track
etc.

Adding unnecessary systems to correct poor maintenance is
such a lubberly and stupid thing to do. To discuss it as par
for the course is an embarrassment to sailors everywhere.

"Marc" wrote in message ...
So , Simp, just what did you add to this thread?

Bobsprit

If we are talking about large boats with large sails
that need several sailors to hand the sails then there
is STILL no need for lubberly crap like lazy jacks.

Neal, looks like Marc slammed you good. Easing sail handling via simple lazy
jacks is age-old. I've seen pictures of old sailboats with lazy jack type
setups. WORKING sailboats, neal!

Dope!

RB
Bobsprit

They are more trouble than they are worth
and they are just plain STUPID!

I've never had a problem with lazy jacks. I wonder how their "complexity"
worries Neal????
Like furlers, which are now practically bullet proof in their operation, he
seems offended by what he can't have.

RB
Scott Vernon

It shows.

"Bobsprit" wrote

I've never had a problem with being lazy .