Glenn Ashmore

Default Which lines for the electric winch?

If your budget restricted you to a single powered winch, which lines
would you use it on?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Geoffrey W. Schultz

I own a Freedom 40/40 with 2 winches on it. They are mounted on either side
of the companionway. All lines run to these 2 winches. The starboard is
electric and has the main haylard, jib halyard, spinnaker halyard, main
sheet and starboard traveller lines running directly to it. On the port
side I've got the jib sheet, 1'st and 2'nd reefing lines, boom vang and
port traveller control. The port winch isn't electric but all that you
have to do is place 1 wrap around the port winch and bring the line over to
the starboard winch, and presto, all of your lines are now on a powered
winch! The system works great and I rarely have to pull out a winch
handle.

Note that I have a self tending jib with a camber spar, but you could just
as easily do the same thing with jib sheets and any other control lines.

-- Geoff

Glenn Ashmore wrote in news:3F5086CF.7090305
@bellsouth.net:

If your budget restricted you to a single powered winch, which lines
would you use it on?

Bryan B

With the size of the boat you are building I would recomend an electric
winch for the main halyard and the outhaul of your reefs fed to this same
winch.

When reefing, you will want to quickly tensions this ouboard end and the
electric winch will help.

I assume you will be using a batt car system and full battens for your main
and this is heavy. Your main will probably weight 100 to 130 pounds and it
will get heavy pulling the thing up.

As an aside, we installed a lazy cradle from UK this year and it has made an
unmanagable main into one that my wife and I easily use for day sailing. We
do have and electric winch for that halyard.

Good luck

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
If your budget restricted you to a single powered winch, which lines
would you use it on?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

Can you give me some comarisons between the UK Lazy Cradle and the Doyle
StackPak? I am going to have to use some sort of easy main stowing
system. I have been considering the Doyle system but am open to
suggestions.

Bryan B wrote:
[...]

Bryan B

Hello Glenn,

Very similar sytems. The UK system use solid battens and has a removable
front cover. The UK system also has a zipper on top to totally enclose the
sail. The cover can also be rolled along the boom when you have a long
passage or are racing.

The reason for us using this system as opposed to the Doyle system is we use
UK for other sails and have for the past 15 years. The Detroit loft is
great, good people.

Our main is 1000 sq ft and the head board is about 10/12 foot of the deck.
Prior to going to this type of system it was a one hour project to put the
main cover on and take it off. Now it is no big deal to use the main, my
wife and I think nothing of going out for a 2 hour daysail.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure after using this main cover system,
either will work well for you.

Bryan

Bryan B wrote:
[...]

Evan Gatehouse

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
If your budget restricted you to a single powered winch, which lines
would you use it on?

The main halyard and reefing lines (and I like separate clew and tack
lines). Rope clutches for all of them.

Say you're motoring at 2 a.m. You've been on watch for 1-1/2 hours. The
wind comes up a bit. Do you:

a) hoist that main - this is a sailboat dammit
b) wait a bit - the wind might die again
c) wait for the change of watch - it's safer and the other person makes it
easier.

If it was my old boat I'd say a). But if it was a 45' boat with a big full
batten mainssail I'd be tempted to b) or c) 'cause it's a real committment
at 2 a.m. So that's my reasoning.

You can also look into Harken or Spinlocks "open sheave" cross-overs to lead
other halyards to the powered winch in a pinch.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Advice sought on electric trailer winches... Harry Krause General 52 July 6th 04 05:36 PM
How to change trailer winch cable on land? Ree-Yees General 12 May 11th 04 03:49 AM
Electric motors and battery combinations...>>> Marty S. General 21 January 4th 04 03:52 AM
Boat Winch Grumpy General 6 October 5th 03 04:11 PM
Trailer Brakes: Electric vs Hydraulic-Surge Gary Warner General 25 October 2nd 03 02:22 AM