Geoffrey W. Schultz

Default Which lines for the electric winch?

I own a Freedom 40/40 with 2 winches on it. They are mounted on either side
of the companionway. All lines run to these 2 winches. The starboard is
electric and has the main haylard, jib halyard, spinnaker halyard, main
sheet and starboard traveller lines running directly to it. On the port
side I've got the jib sheet, 1'st and 2'nd reefing lines, boom vang and
port traveller control. The port winch isn't electric but all that you
have to do is place 1 wrap around the port winch and bring the line over to
the starboard winch, and presto, all of your lines are now on a powered
winch! The system works great and I rarely have to pull out a winch
handle.

Note that I have a self tending jib with a camber spar, but you could just
as easily do the same thing with jib sheets and any other control lines.

-- Geoff

Glenn Ashmore wrote in news:3F5086CF.7090305
@bellsouth.net:

If your budget restricted you to a single powered winch, which lines
would you use it on?