mulroys

Default Synthetic decking

Hi again.

I'm buying a sound hull that needs everything

I was wondering if anybody ever tried Trex or a similar wood fiber/
polyetheline matrix matieral as a replacement for wood decking?

It just seems like it would be a perfect sea-going product.

Thanks

Just Us

"mulroys" wrote in message
Hi again.

I'm buying a sound hull that needs everything

I was wondering if anybody ever tried Trex or a similar wood fiber/
polyetheline matrix matieral as a replacement for wood decking?

It just seems like it would be a perfect sea-going product.

Thanks

Have you ever felt the weight of this stuff?
It is way too heavy for marine use, unless you have a mine sweeper or
battleship.

mulroys

"Just Us" wrote in message ...

"mulroys" wrote in message
Hi again.

I'm buying a sound hull that needs everything

I was wondering if anybody ever tried Trex or a similar wood fiber/
polyetheline matrix matieral as a replacement for wood decking?

It just seems like it would be a perfect sea-going product.

Thanks

Have you ever felt the weight of this stuff?
It is way too heavy for marine use, unless you have a mine sweeper or
battleship.

Heh... I forgot to consider that.

Thanks.

Jim P.

Check: http://www.plasteak.com/

There are several different strenghts and weights.

DUINK

I have been checking the synthetic decking for use on land (deck and a dock).
It seems great from a longevity standpoint (should never rot) but has some
negatives: heavier than wood; about 50% more expensive than pressure treated
wood, weaker than wood (can be decking, but not anything structural), available
only in 5/4" thickness (OK for a deck on land; maybe not for a boat).

BSCHNAUTZ

I was wondering if anybody ever tried Trex or a similar wood fiber/
polyetheline matrix matieral as a replacement for wood decking?

I've wondered that too.

I got tired of replacing my front porch every three years with salt-treated
pine because it would rot out in no time because of facing the hot evening sun,
and catching rain and all the elements.
I wen't with wood/fiber 8 years ago,a nd it's been absolutely great.
mulroys

"BSCHNAUTZ" wrote in message
I was wondering if anybody ever tried Trex or a similar wood fiber/
polyetheline matrix matieral as a replacement for wood decking?

I've wondered that too.

I got tired of replacing my front porch every three years with
salt-treated
pine because it would rot out in no time because of facing the hot evening
sun,
and catching rain and all the elements.
I wen't with wood/fiber 8 years ago,a nd it's been absolutely great.

I went with copper napthenate treated doug fir for my household deck , and I
wish I'd sprung for the Trex. We live in Eugene, OR. The deck gets soaked
once a day for eight months, and then scorched by the sun for four.

Even with biannual cleanings and sealings, it's starting to look nasty after
only two years. That's what got me thinking about a synthetic product for
the boat.

"Striped" Decking Douglas St. Clair Boat Building 6 January 1st 05 05:10 AM
Synthetic oil versus 2 cycle restrictions RG General 11 December 24th 03 11:49 PM
Synthetic Oil? Doobie Cruising 22 September 4th 03 10:55 AM
Synthetic oil in a outboard engine ? JG General 6 August 20th 03 04:27 PM
Synthetic oil on 2-stroke question n0sPaM General 4 July 27th 03 02:10 PM