RG

Default Synthetic oil versus 2 cycle restrictions

I had a conversation with my favorite o/b motor mechanic today about my
using synthetic oil in my various 2 cycle motors. I have been using it for
about a year in one and see less smoke, and understand that it is
bio-degradable. ( I know, I know, everything is sooner or later
biodegradable). It is about twice the expense of "regular" oil, but that
price would probably drop somewhat if more people used it.

Anyhow, I posed the question that if "everyone who is presently using a 2
cycle engine ( that's me, I have 3 of them)..switched it the more expensive
but supposedly less polluting synthetic oil, would we get the environmental
agencies off of our backs for another ten years?", I'm assuming that many
two cycles will probably be gone from the boating arena by the end of ten
years.

Any comments????....( be nice )!

Clams Canino

Instead of the continuing efforts to ban 2 cycle outboards, I'd rather see
these bans have grandfather clauses and total exemptions for those running
synthetic oils.

It's my feeling that the 2 cycle bans might be kind of silly anyway. I mean
the "golden age" of the 2 cycle outboard has already come and gone and I've
never seen any quantifier of "damage" they've done to the lake environments.

-W

"RG" wrote in message
[...]

Billgran

"RG" wrote in message
I had a conversation with my favorite o/b motor mechanic today about my
using synthetic oil in my various 2 cycle motors. I have been using it for
about a year in one and see less smoke, and understand that it is
bio-degradable. ( I know, I know, everything is sooner or later
biodegradable). It is about twice the expense of "regular" oil, but that
price would probably drop somewhat if more people used it.

That question has been around for almost 10 years and gets asked quite
often. Basically the different government bodies say that outboard exhaust
pollution is about air quality. The oil issue is would be about water
quality, and there are no reported problems with outboard oils since they
dissipate fairly quickly. This is not crude oil like from the Exxon Valdez.
I understand that in Europe there are a few places that require the
semi-biodegradable oils such as Mercury's and Bombardier's products.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Clams Canino

If it's about air quality, then DFI would have to be exempted.

Personally, I don't think the aggregate number of 2 stroke outboards is
sufficiant to make a significant contribution to air pollution. While I'd
agree they are a lot dirtier than comparable 4 cycles, there just aren't
enough of them running to impact anything real.

-W

"Billgran" wrote in message
om...

Basically the different government bodies say that outboard exhaust
pollution is about air quality. The oil issue is would be about water
quality, and there are no reported problems with outboard oils since they
dissipate fairly quickly.

Billgran

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
If it's about air quality, then DFI would have to be exempted.

Personally, I don't think the aggregate number of 2 stroke outboards is
sufficiant to make a significant contribution to air pollution. While I'd
agree they are a lot dirtier than comparable 4 cycles, there just aren't
enough of them running to impact anything real.

-W

Most people are under the impression that a 4-stroke is cleaner, but a DFI,
such as a late model Evinrude, has fewer total emissions than a late model
EFI 4-stroke. The great thing about DFI is that its emission output stays
fairly steady throughout the life of the motor. On the other hand, a
4-stroke gets dirtier (increased hydrocarbon emissions) as it wears (about
350-400 hours) and oil starts getting by the rings and the valve guides. It
doesn't even have to "smoke" to drastically increase its emissions.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Steven Shelikoff

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 00:16:02 GMT, "Billgran"
wrote:

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
If it's about air quality, then DFI would have to be exempted.

Personally, I don't think the aggregate number of 2 stroke outboards is
sufficiant to make a significant contribution to air pollution. While I'd
agree they are a lot dirtier than comparable 4 cycles, there just aren't
enough of them running to impact anything real.

-W

Most people are under the impression that a 4-stroke is cleaner, but a DFI,
such as a late model Evinrude, has fewer total emissions than a late model
EFI 4-stroke. The great thing about DFI is that its emission output stays
fairly steady throughout the life of the motor.

Could that be because the 4-stroke lasts so much longer? Sorry,
couldn't resist.

Steve
F330 GT

Most people are under the impression that a 4-stroke is cleaner, but a DFI,
such as a late model Evinrude, has fewer total emissions than a late model
EFI 4-stroke. The great thing about DFI is that its emission output stays
fairly steady throughout the life of the motor.

Could that be because the 4-stroke lasts so much longer? Sorry,
couldn't resist.

Steve

When it comes to marine engines, I'll bet there's a whole lot more old 2
strokes than 4 strokes.

I couldn't resist either.

Barry

Oil & Plug Opinions Bear General 27 December 20th 03 08:22 AM
Synthetic oil in a outboard engine ? JG General 6 August 20th 03 04:27 PM