Billgran

Default Synthetic oil versus 2 cycle restrictions

"RG" wrote in message
I had a conversation with my favorite o/b motor mechanic today about my
using synthetic oil in my various 2 cycle motors. I have been using it for
about a year in one and see less smoke, and understand that it is
bio-degradable. ( I know, I know, everything is sooner or later
biodegradable). It is about twice the expense of "regular" oil, but that
price would probably drop somewhat if more people used it.

That question has been around for almost 10 years and gets asked quite
often. Basically the different government bodies say that outboard exhaust
pollution is about air quality. The oil issue is would be about water
quality, and there are no reported problems with outboard oils since they
dissipate fairly quickly. This is not crude oil like from the Exxon Valdez.
I understand that in Europe there are a few places that require the
semi-biodegradable oils such as Mercury's and Bombardier's products.

Bill Grannis
service manager