Douglas St. Clair

Default "Striped" Decking

Hi There -

I'm sure there's a proper name for it, but I'll be damned if I know it. I'm
referring to the striped-decking you see on classic wooden boats. I know
some people simply stripe a plywood decking to make it appear like
individual boards, but I'm interested in the real deal.

Don't know which method is used here, but this is what I'm after...
http://www.glen-l.com/picboards/picboard2/pic151b.jpg

I would guess that there's a technique for filling the voids with a colored
(white) epoxy before sealing the entire deck. Does anybody know of a good
source for a tutorial on doing this, either online or book form?

I'm starting to build the Glen-L "Squirt", a little 11' outboard. It's my
hope, however unrealistic with my current skill set, to make it appear as
retro as possible. The decking could make or break the overall appearance.

Thanks!!
Doug

I heard them called "Laid decks", but I don't know if that is the
correct term. There is some info he

http://www.practical-sailor.com/news...2teakdecks.pdf

The "filler" must be permanently flexible to allow for wood expansion
and contraction, for example:
http://www.boatlife.com/productsdeta...ordID=5&cat=CS

Glenn Ashmore

Traditionally that is a laid mahogany deck caulked with okum and linseed oil
putty collored with white lead. Some Chris Craft models and other builders
also laid a plywood sub deck covered with canvas painted with white lead
then laid thin mahogany strips filled with seam compound. Seams can be
either white or black and still be "traditional".

An easier and lighter way for a small runnabout is to get some 1/2" mahogany
plywood and cut kerfs about 3/16 deep. After you get it installed fill the
kerfs with Pette General Purpose Seam compound. Let it cure for a week or
so and lightly sand off level. Be very careful not to sand through the face
veneer. You can then varnish the whole thing.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Douglas St. Clair" wrote in message
[...]

LEWIS STANNARD

Nice looking deck in the pic. My decks are strips and when I replaced a load
of it I used SIKOFLEX as a filler. It never hardens and stays flexible and
sands well. One thing though is that my decks are not varnished (they are
bare scrubbed teak) so the flexing may effect the varnish coat. Why not give
it a try on a test piece. Stan

[...]

Ron Magen

Doug,
That's a 'classic' idea, for certain.

Traditionally, a 'laid' deck - teak, with seems oakum caulk and hot pitch
poured on top {the black 'stripes'. The 'fancier' white stripes were
reserved for the interior cabin sole - 'Teak & Holly'.

The contrast you see is from the same idea, but using higher contrast
{darker} Mahogany.

The 'cheater' way is to use a pre-made plywood. One source is Harbor Sales
in Baltimore, MD {or at least it was a few years ago}. The stuff isn't cheap
!! However, it's obviously a real time saver - also allows easier handling &
good weight savings.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Douglas St. Clair" wrote...
Hi There -

I'm sure there's a proper name for it, but I'll be damned if I know it.

I'm
referring to the striped-decking you see on classic wooden boats.

SNIP

Paul Kane

Doug,

The info you need can be found in 'Fiberglass boat repair & maintenance'
published by Gougeon Brothers Inc. catalog # 002-550. It's available for a
nominal fee from your local West System Epoxy retailer or can be ordered at

http://www.westsystem.com/webpages/p...m#publications

Refer to section 6.2 'Installing a teak deck'. Substitute white pigment for
the black graphite as stated in the text. Get a copy of the 'West system
technical manual and product guide', catalog # 002-950 for an overview of
their products. Hope this helps !!

Paul Kane, Chelsea, PQ

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod

[...]

....Ken

"Douglas St. Clair" wrote in message
Hi There -

I'm sure there's a proper name for it, but I'll be damned if I know it.

I'm
referring to the striped-decking you see on classic wooden boats. I know
some people simply stripe a plywood decking to make it appear like
individual boards, but I'm interested in the real deal.

I would guess that there's a technique for filling the voids with a

colored
(white) epoxy before sealing the entire deck. Does anybody know of a good
source for a tutorial on doing this, either online or book form?
.

Thanks!!
Doug

Do a google search on 'teak decking' and you will find a fair bit of info. A
3M adhesive called 5200 is a good
material to glue the decking down with and Sikaflex 281 LOT for the
caulking. I would cut in a 'rabbet' on each decking piece to later fill with
caulking.

good luck.......Ken