Glenn Ashmore

Traditionally that is a laid mahogany deck caulked with okum and linseed oil
putty collored with white lead. Some Chris Craft models and other builders
also laid a plywood sub deck covered with canvas painted with white lead
then laid thin mahogany strips filled with seam compound. Seams can be
either white or black and still be "traditional".

An easier and lighter way for a small runnabout is to get some 1/2" mahogany
plywood and cut kerfs about 3/16 deep. After you get it installed fill the
kerfs with Pette General Purpose Seam compound. Let it cure for a week or
so and lightly sand off level. Be very careful not to sand through the face
veneer. You can then varnish the whole thing.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Douglas St. Clair" wrote in message
Hi There -

I'm sure there's a proper name for it, but I'll be damned if I know it.

I'm
referring to the striped-decking you see on classic wooden boats. I know
some people simply stripe a plywood decking to make it appear like
individual boards, but I'm interested in the real deal.

Don't know which method is used here, but this is what I'm after...
http://www.glen-l.com/picboards/picboard2/pic151b.jpg

I would guess that there's a technique for filling the voids with a

colored
(white) epoxy before sealing the entire deck. Does anybody know of a good
source for a tutorial on doing this, either online or book form?

I'm starting to build the Glen-L "Squirt", a little 11' outboard. It's my
hope, however unrealistic with my current skill set, to make it appear as
retro as possible. The decking could make or break the overall

appearance.

Thanks!!
Doug