BSCHNAUTZ

Default Death nell for 2 cycle outboards?

I was told by a mechanic at a local marina today that all major mfj's are
going four cycle which is fine with me. But one reason why is because EPA
emmision standards will be stamping out new production of 2-cycle outboards.
AND in a couple years 2-cycle outboards, especially large horspower models
will eventually be banned from use on several lakes, due to water polution.

Does anybody have any info on this? and what the new EPA standards will consist
of?

if a link or so can be provided, I'd appreciate it.

THANKS!
Tim
Lew Hodgett

"BSCHNAUTZ" writes:

Does anybody have any info on this? and what the new EPA standards will

consist
of?

2 cycle has been illegal in California for several years due to pollution
problems.

Looks like the rest of the world is catching up.

HTH

Lew

sherwindu

Problem is, nobody has come up with a 4-cycle tiny dinghy engine that I am
aware of.
Most people want to be enviromental friendly, but there must be reasonable
alternatives in place. When they come up with something like my Tohatsu 3.5
which
weighs only about 30 pounds, that would be an alternative. Last time I
looked, the
4 stroke 4 h.p.'s were well over 50 pounds.

Sherwin D.

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"BSCHNAUTZ" writes:

Does anybody have any info on this? and what the new EPA standards will

consist
of?

2 cycle has been illegal in California for several years due to pollution
problems.

Looks like the rest of the world is catching up.

HTH

Lew

Eisboch

sherwindu wrote:
Problem is, nobody has come up with a 4-cycle tiny dinghy engine that I am
aware of.
Most people want to be enviromental friendly, but there must be reasonable
alternatives in place. When they come up with something like my Tohatsu 3.5
which
weighs only about 30 pounds, that would be an alternative. Last time I
looked, the
4 stroke 4 h.p.'s were well over 50 pounds.

Sherwin D.

We are in the process of buying a new (used) boat. It comes with a
small, 8 foot inflatable powered by a 2.5 hp, 4 cycle Honda outboard
that appears to be several years old.

Eisboch
JAXAshby

powered by a 2.5 hp, 4 cycle Honda outboard
that appears to be several years old.

a friend has one of thos 2 hp, 4 cycle Honda he wants to get rid of but says he
won't sell it to a friend.

Eisboch

JAXAshby wrote:
powered by a 2.5 hp, 4 cycle Honda outboard
that appears to be several years old.

a friend has one of thos 2 hp, 4 cycle Honda he wants to get rid of but says he
won't sell it to a friend.

Don't know anything about it. Haven't run it yet.

Eisboch
Falky foo

Well sort of, it's illegal to ship into the state NEW 2 stroke outboards.

The old ones can still be used AFAIK and used ones can be sold as well, but
no new ones.

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"BSCHNAUTZ" writes:

Does anybody have any info on this? and what the new EPA standards will

consist
of?

2 cycle has been illegal in California for several years due to pollution
problems.

Looks like the rest of the world is catching up.

HTH

Lew

BSCHNAUTZ

The reason I origionally posted this is because I live in southern Illinois,
and I have a chance to get a great deal on a 22ft Bayliner w/ a 235hp Evinrude,
through a bank re-po. The boat is reasonable enough, but I was wondering if in
a year or so I won't be able to run it on like, Lake Carlyle, Shelbyville,
Decatur, or any more local yet small lakes.

Well sort of, it's illegal to ship into the state NEW 2 stroke outboards.

The old ones can still be used AFAIK and used ones can be sold as well, but
no new ones.

Scott Vernon

"Matt Lang" wrote

I dont think the newer DFI 2 strokes cause more emissions than 4
strokes. the only difference is oil in the exhaust. I believe it
would be possible to build a 2 stroke with seperate oil circuit,

just
like a 4 stroke. This shouldnt add too much weight as motors like
optimax are almost there anyways.

''seperate oil circuit''?
Do you mean oil injected, like what's been available for a few
decades?
Where will the ''seperate oil circuit'' oil go after the cylinder?
Do you understand how a 2 stroke works?

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

20 foot Key Largo 2000CC, Which Motor, Yamaha 150 2 or 4 cycle, Help. Joe General 2 June 7th 04 02:52 PM
Outboards - 2 vs 4 Cycle HugYourPug General 6 April 21st 04 12:56 PM
Synthetic oil versus 2 cycle restrictions RG General 11 December 24th 03 11:49 PM
Death be not proud Don ßailey General 0 September 29th 03 03:07 PM
Just How Safe Do You Feel? Doug Kanter General 34 July 13th 03 06:14 PM